Triple positive follow up

Less than one minute read time.

Hi, I am new on this site

I have been through a rough year of neo-adjuvant chemo, a right side lumpectomy 46mm with residual island, re-excision, a dose of anxiety and 20 radiation, nearing the end of Herceptin, I thought now I'm done and nearly over the finish line, then would you believe it i get degenerative disc disease  which I've got under control, then I ask what is the follow up procedure for my BC when will my first mammogram be? well you would think you would get a straight answer but no. I was wondering if there was someone who has walked this path before me and let me know what to expect. Is first mammogram 12 months from diagnosis or 12 months from surgery, are the breasts treated as a pair?            

Anonymous
  • Hello

I got a list with all my next 5 year mammogram appointments before I had even started my treatment - mine are around the date I was diagnosed. I ended up with a mastectomy and reconstruction so they will only do a mammogram on the real breast, and I believe they do both breasts if you have had a lumpectomy. I was told it would be 3 weeks before I got the results, but after 3 weeks I rang my BCN - my surgeon had been on holiday and they are looked over by more people than if you "just" have a normal mammogram. Mine was fine and to be honest I didn't really worry about it, maybe if I had had a successful lumpectomy I may have been a bit more concerned as it is good to know things look okay.

Hope this helps, it seems everywhere has different processes doesn't it ?

Jo x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jo

Many thanks for your reply, I do agree every hospital seems to be different, I was told this week it was Dec 2018 but I thought this couldn't be right as it would be 2 years from diagnosis or 18 months from surgery so after making 6 phone calls to the hospital I eventually got a call back agreeing with me, so now it will be done August 2018, 1 year from surgery. so now I can forget about it til then

I have decided next year I will have a tattoo of a zip over my lumpectomy scar  as it looks like a unhappy face : (  and that doesn't suit my personality. I am now relaxed with the fact I have a new normal life and now ready to enjoy it. 

I see on your blog your suffered the sore bloody nose, I am still suffering with sore scabby nose and cannot wait to finish the herceptin and getting my nose back to a happy one

It looks like you've had a tough year too,  I must congratulate you on your stamina waiting 3 weeks for the mammogram results and so pleased for you that it was good news. 

I feel now that dealing with everything that has happened I don't fret about was hasn't happened yet

I celebrated having my first haircut last week and using a hairbrush again whoopieee. everyone is so surprised my hair is darker than before with a few little flecks of silver (I don't do grey)

I also see you are on tamoxifen what a beast that is too, I sufferer with the hot flushes or as my nurse said a tropical moment . the new normal is dressing in layers some times I look like I should be on the beach and then I get the chills and look like I should be in the Antarctic :)  I am currently taking sage tablets which are helping and given up caffeine, I have also found out through having to go for 2 mile walk each day to help with back problem that my memory has improved a lot and I am not putting the jar of coffee in the fridge and not standing gormless in a room wondering what I went in there for :)  also my energy levels are up and feeling so alive and bubbly, I spend many happy moments laughing at myself and my silly antics.

This journey has taught me one big lesson it's not work, work, work its family, friends and memories that really matter 

Debs xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jo

Many thanks for your reply, I do agree every hospital seems to be different, I was told this week it was Dec 2018 but I thought this couldn't be right as it would be 2 years from diagnosis or 18 months from surgery so after making 6 phone calls to the hospital I eventually got a call back agreeing with me, so now it will be done August 2018, 1 year from surgery. so now I can forget about it til then

I have decided next year I will have a tattoo of a zip over my lumpectomy scar  as it looks like a unhappy face : (  and that doesn't suit my personality. I am now relaxed with the fact I have a new normal life and now ready to enjoy it. 

I see on your blog your suffered the sore bloody nose, I am still suffering with sore scabby nose and cannot wait to finish the herceptin and getting my nose back to a happy one

It looks like you've had a tough year too,  I must congratulate you on your stamina waiting 3 weeks for the mammogram results and so pleased for you that it was good news. 

I feel now that dealing with everything that has happened I don't fret about was hasn't happened yet

I celebrated having my first haircut last week and using a hairbrush again whoopieee. everyone is so surprised my hair is darker than before with a few little flecks of silver (I don't do grey)

I also see you are on tamoxifen what a beast that is too, I sufferer with the hot flushes or as my nurse said a tropical moment . the new normal is dressing in layers some times I look like I should be on the beach and then I get the chills and look like I should be in the Antarctic :)  I am currently taking sage tablets which are helping and given up caffeine, I have also found out through having to go for 2 mile walk each day to help with back problem that my memory has improved a lot and I am not putting the jar of coffee in the fridge and not standing gormless in a room wondering what I went in there for :)  also my energy levels are up and feeling so alive and bubbly, I spend many happy moments laughing at myself and my silly antics.

This journey has taught me one big lesson it's not work, work, work its family, friends and memories that really matter 

Debs xx

Hi Jo

Debs xx

• Hi can I ask how your treatment went please best wishes x