Preparing for op next week.

Less than one minute read time.

Went to gym today, nearly 6 weeks since lymph node biopsy, been very careful not to overdo it. been working out gently not using weights on affected  arm for last two weeks. Normal exercises but just squeezing my fist. Bicep curls, on Swiss ball bracing my core.  Used to bench press 50 kilos but hey1 Can live without doing that anymore. Find it difficult that i can't row on the machine, used to burn 1000+ calories a day. Gaining weight haven't got to grips with that yet. Got major surgery next week lymph node removal, mastectomy and flap reconstruction. Well its going to be debilitating and really horrible but I have to try to maximise my recovery, Have to keep positive.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I Have lymohodema in both arms. No surgey just happened stage 4,. Bc ER/PR+, matastized to spine. 2crusged, 2 fractured, tumor on disc and wrapped around spine, if hardens paralysed.

Too much weight on lymph side can cause nerve damage. Be careful. They told no more than 5pounds on that side. There is lymph massage and deep breathing- breath while pushing stomach out, exhale slowly. Do for 15 min. Pulls lymph to drain in that direction. Also lightly massage fromhand up to shoulder, around back. Down side over hip and to groin to get flow. My back up is under arm so i want to re-route around that area not into it.

Had biopsy of lymph in neck, in conclusive. They say the removal of the lymph doesn't change the swelling problem. Read up on it. There is something new i saw on replacing good lymph nodes to take over and help with swelling . Sounds like a better fix.

Read and be knowledgeable as you can. Its your body and you decision. Read pros and cons on lymph removal.

EnjoyLIFE~

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks, I need info on what i can and can't do. Wont be training with weights anymore I think. Arms are getting flabby losing muscle mass because i am not training. The problem is what is normal ache and what is damage. Its hard to tell I am so scared to over do it. The breathing advice is good, Trying to remember to breathe the way ENJOYLIFE describes, they teach this in yoga but forgot it. Its a good reminder. 

i have moments of extreme despair and panic when i realise my life is permanently impaired now, Who knows where i will be in 2 years but got to try to make things better for myself. Although i do know most of it is well beyond my control.