That Lump I Found

4 minute read time.

I was awake as usual at 3.30am on 12 October.  I went to the bathroom and noticed my nipples looked different, it was cold and the right one was rigid but the left looked flat.  I regularly do checks so I felt around my breast and found a hard little lump just to the left of my nipple.  Oh my god I just knew something was wrong.  I went straight to my smartphone app and found an appointment with my doctor at 8am.  I was examined and a referral was sent to the hospital.  It was just unreal, I had to attend my final appointment at the hospital with my Consultant after surgery to release my frozen shoulder.  I thought I was done with hospitals.

My appointment came through the post for 7 November.  It didn't tell me much, just that I was booked in to see the Breast Surgeon.  I rang the hospital and they told me it was a One Stop Clinic where I would be examined and sent for various tests if needed.  I told work straight away.  I had only been back a couple of months after recovering from surgery and my father's death (from cancer).  I knew I was going to need time off to attend any tests and they were very understanding.

My sister went to the hospital with me on 7 November.  I saw the Consultant Surgeon first.  She examined me and sent me for a mammogram and ultrasound.  It was very efficient, one after the other.  I went back to the Consultant and she said nothing at all was found on the mammogram but the ultrasound scan showed there was something there. She said it was most likely a cyst but it was best to get it checked out. The ultrasound doctor was suggesting that I wait until he finished his clinic appointments and go back for a biopsy or return on a later date.  Of course I decided to wait and get it seen to.  The ultrasound doctor talked to me first to put me at ease about what would happen.  The noise of the biopsy was the worst thing.  I didn't feel the needle as he used a very quick acting local anaesthetic.  I hate needles so I made sure not to look at what he was doing.  After the biopsy I went home and waited for my follow up appointment to arrive.

My next appointment was on 15 November.  My sister was with me.  I was called into the consulting room and left there a few minutes.  The Consultant and a nurse came in and this was the absolute worst thing.  She was very apologetic but said that the biopsy showed that the lump was in fact cancer. However, hopefully it had been caught early and would just require breast conservation surgery and radiotherapy.  I told her I was going on holiday to New Zealand in February next year.  She said not to cancel anything, as the operation could be done in December and a boost of radiotherapy given before I went away.  I was going to need an MRI scan which would be booked for me.  The nurse stayed in the room for any questions.  I couldn't think what to ask.

The following day I was sent a new appointment come through for 29 November but nothing about the MRI.  I contacted the nurse and left a message.  She called me back when I was at work on the following Monday.  Within half an hour I had a call from the MRI department offering me a cancelled appointment that afternoon.  I left work at lunchtime to go for the MRI.  I am nervous of enclosed spaces but the staff put me at ease and explained about the contrast medium that they would inject.  I was face down on the table which was fed into the machine so I was not away of going in the tunnel.  It was undignified having my breasts poking down through the hole but I managed.  I'm not sure how long I was in there, it felt like a long time and my shoulder started aching but I was determined to get it over with. 

My husband went with me on 29 November for the results.  The MRI only showed the single lump in my left breast, it was 1.5cms and stage 3 (I think but I read there is a difference between grade 3 and stage 3 The consultant examined me again and explained where the scar would go.  I would have the lump removed, including my nipple as it was so close, and the sentinel lymph node would be removed at the same time.  I asked what my treatment would be and whether the holiday to New Zealand was still going to be possible.  This time I was told I would have to wait for the results after surgery to be told my treatment plan.  I was offered surgery on Thursday 7 December.  This is what I am waiting for now.  I don't feel I can face work at the moment.  I went into the office but couldn't concentrate.  I'm worried that I have T2 Diabetes and struggle with my blood sugars.  This delayed the operation on my shoulder because they were too high.  I had to go on a strict low carb diet which I really didn't enjoy and I have let it slip again since.

Anonymous