Gone from scared and panicked to calm and practical (and a little bit angry)

1 minute read time.

Hello.

It's been 18 days since the nightmare began.  Eighteen days since Mum was admitted to hospital with high blood pressure, a super fast heart rate, ascites, constipation, nausea and general feelings of being poorly.  We'd been for a scan the previous week (but Mum didn't have a scan that day, she saw a consultant that only confirmed she needed a scan and got it booked in for two and a half weeks later) and she'd had a couple of doctors appointments prior, to address her issues.

Where are we now?  Five days in hospital, ECG's, MRI's, ultrasounds, ascites drainage and a biopsy.  And a diagnosis.  A diagnosis of advanced grade three, stage 3c ovarian cancer.

Treatment should start next week - three rounds of chemo (Carpoplatin and Paclitaxel) and then surgery followed by another three rounds of chemo.

I feel surprisingly calm and practical and am thinking of all the things I need to do in preparation for this rollercoaster.  I've been reading loads these last couple of days and am learning how I can help my Mum and make life as easy as possible whilst she's having treatment.

There are so many things bouncing around my head - shall I encourage Mum to trim her hair into a short bob so it's not so bad when her hair falls out or thins out?  shall I buy a heat pad?  what shall i start popping into a bag to start a 'keep me busy whilst having chemo' kit?  how do I make sure I keep myself well so I can look after her?  and so many other things...

A friend said I should write a blog so that all my thoughts and amotions are out and then I found Macmillan Online Community.  And that's where I thought I'd like to dump it.

Someone asked me last week if I'd started to feel angry yet.  I said no.  I feel scared, sad, worried and all things in between.  But I'm sensing the early feelings of anger bubbling up now.

Thanks for reading.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I'm not familiar with your Mum's cancer type but I am caring for my husband who has pancreatic cancer. And yes, I know the feelings arising as you get the diagnosis. The term, the why us? The practical wanting to fix it all thing....which is great as long as you keep checking in with Mum and letting her have space to get her head around it all.

Everybody's journey is unique to them. Because we are all unique.

The waiting is horrible, and now you have the diagnosis. I'm sorry you have all of this to deal with. But it sounds like you are coping brilliantly. There's no righty to feel, just acknowledge and honour your feelings but do realise that everything can be managed, and you are managing. And good, you are expressing it all on here. You can get counselling as a carer. You should register yourself as a carer with the GP too. Get flu shots for free (carer and cancer patients. Normally 10 to 12 days after chemo cycle is best I'm told).

And....I've learned this the hard way...self care too. It's exhausting. I was working a 40 hour week and caring for hubby. Now I'm off sick because I burned out, no thanks to my employer who is a carer on paper themselves - they aren't doing the care, they have carers going in but thats because its their elderly Mum.

Here's a great meditation site with free meditation www.tarabrach.com/.../

Don't think too far ahead, deal with the now as it comes.

Much love Chris x