Twenty minutes later and still no title!

2 minute read time.

A title, it's my blog the title can be anything I want it to be but could I think of one, NO! Hence the actual title. Before you ask yes I did sit staring at my iPad for twenty minutes trying to think of something!

So what did I come on here to say? Hmmmmm good question! I have so much going on in my head but I'm not sure I can put it down in words! You know sometimes it's difficult to find the words. Or maybe that's just me! I know, thanks to the drugs, that my ability to think straight has been completely messed up! There are days when I genuinely forgot the names of animals in a children's book (I'm a nanny, i don't just read children's books for fun) The other day I was sat with the toddler and had a picture of a Zebra, but could I think of that word, NO! So instead it became a Stripey Horse, well it was that or a horse who supports Newcastle! I can laugh now, but at the time it was very frustrating. 

In fact I think that's probably my biggest issue at the moment, the frustrations in life. All those small things that I should be able to do, but that I struggle with. Those small things that remind me that all is not well (not that I need reminding)!

At the moment memory is my biggest issue! I was talking to my sister just yesterday and asked her how much I owed her for the bracelet that we had bought mum. Both she and my mum replied that I had paid her when we were sat having lunch in the pub?? I don't recall being in the pub or paying her!! It's sort of coming back now, but that's taken me over a day to recall! It's horrid! 

Last night Mum had to remind me that my Fentanyl patch needed changing. I had remembered first thing in the morning but by the time I reached 8pm when I was meant to change it, I forgot!!

I really hate being like this and I'm not sure if there is anything that I can do to help with it! I'm sure it's down to the lack of oestrogen, which is something I can't do much about! Sadly!

So I suppose I just learn to live with it, I write myself reminders of things and then I wonder what the reminder is for? I make lists and then forget where I put them! I put alarms on my phone and ignore them! Just say it, "I'M BEYOND HELP"!

Looks like this is just the new me and that means I'd forget my head, if it wasn't screwed on! Which reminds me of a funny little story, but I'll save that for another time! If I remember that is! 

So if you are out on your travels one day and you see a body walking around with no head, please say Hi as it'll be me :-) 

Anonymous
  • Hi Londonlass,

I've had a hysterectomy but can't have HRT and not on any other meds but my formerly quite sharp mind (I say quite as I've always been a bit ditzy) is failing me. I feel your pain, I describe the words I can't remember and someone else has to guess what I mean, my friend at work and my husband are getting good at this game. I also find myself with my head in the world about half the time and the other half in a dream or daze. It's amazing what hormones can do to us, our moods and our brain in general. Anyway just wanted to say your not alone with these feelings and thinking that you are slowly losing the plot.

Lots of love

Xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Londonlass.

Poor memory happens to the best of us. I use a calendar I keep in the kitchen which has large squares on to write down what I have done each day so when I look the next day I know what I managed to do.

I also put bright coloured notelets on my fridge door. Pink for medication and times. Different colours for different things. Only use a few colours otherwise it will really confused you.

I always have my meals at set times so I feel ok and am not suddenly flagging. It also helps to split the day up and you can check what you have accomplished and what you still have to do.

Don't worry about memory everybody who is so seriously ill have plenty of issues like this. Try not to expect too much of yourself you will notice.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Londonlass

It is not unusual the way you forget things..you with Secondary Breast Cancer is enough for anybody to suffer memory loss...  "Fentynal Patches" realy stuff the mind up...I was on 50mg for approximately 2 years along with 20 mg Morphine Morning and Night for pain...it really confuses the mind. I am so happy to be off both of them...stay positive and look forward to coming of the Fentynal Patches... ..or ask for an alternative!!!!.

Take Care

Trevor 

Onetreehill 

Australia