Stuck in a hole.......

2 minute read time.

So that's what rock bottom feels like! 

It came from knowhere, like a bolt out of the blue! One minute I was plodding along quite happily with the usual ups and downs, when BAM, suddenly I was in the bottom of a big dark hole and however hard I tried I couldn't get out! I tried so hard to see the light, to find that way out but it just wasn't there! For the first time in this entire journey I felt completely alone, scared and ready to give up!

I was going to work and feeling awful, then I would spend the evening critisising myself and how rubbish I had been that day! I would log on this site and read through the posts! Usually I would reply with all those supportive lines that we get so good at writing! But no, I couldn't, I couldn't because I had nothing positive to say! How could I tell someone else that they will be fine, when I was sat there feeling anything but fine! 

I think the reality of this 'long term illness' is that the side effects of treatment can be REALLY crap! So although, as I keep being told, I could live for many many years 10+ even! My reality is that those 10 years will be filled with drugs and treatments that cause me pain, discomfort or just mess up me being able to lead a 'normal' life! Okay not normal, but the life of a 42year old!  I have to be honest and say for me the fear of dying doesn't scare me as much as the fear of living with a disease that eats away at everything I want to do and stops me being that person I want to be!

I know some people would give anything to be in my position, there will always be people worse off than ourselves! I have 2 very good friends that I have made on here and I know both of them would gladly swap places! But thankfully they also understand how I feel. I know at some point I will have to say goodbye to them and that's very scary! 

This disease doesn't just strip away your physical well being! It's on constant attack at you psychological well being! I am now looking into getting some 'real' professional help with that side of things! For the time being I will sit patiently at the bottom of my hole, I can see a glimmer of light and I can hear voices, so I am not alone! I could start clawring my way up the sides of the hole with all the ups and downs that would go along with that, or I can sit down relax and wait for that rope ladder, then slowly one rung at a time I can work my way out and hopefully back to helping and supporting others!

Because it doesn't matter how long it takes........I WILL GET OUT OF THIS HOLE!!!

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have found myself and the health people put so much effort into beating this horrible disease I never once thought about the mental side of things and the side effects of drugs they give you for treatments that sometimes feel worse than the actually treatment .... the inability of sleep or go to the toilet are both mentally shattering. I am coming to a conclusion that even if I beat this thing it will never leave me ... even if one day I get the all clear I have been told that I am at huge risk of developing secondary cancer within 10 years so even the day I get told I am clear I will then spend the next year's worrying about a simple cough or cold as if it's my cancer returning ..... the physical side of this disease is one thing but I am soon finding the mental side is also very demanding and something harder to deal with. Wishing you all the best for the future.

Darren x