Friends

2 minute read time.

i have struggled a little over whether or not it's appropriate to write this! But it's something that is affecting me at this moment and I need to get it out!

I had a weird day a few weeks back when I 'realised' that my friend who has advanced secondaries, won't be around forever! We have become very close over the last year, we have visited each other and shared lots of laughs! So the thought of losing her really hurts!

Then I started thinking, like you do! One day, hopefully a long way off I will be the one who is nearing the end of my time on this earth and my friends who I have made on here, will be feeling exactly how I feel now! The big question being, do i really want to put them through that?

Well having just experienced my friend trying to push me away, so I don't get hurt! I realised that friendship truly is about taking the good with the bad. None of us know what the future holds. Would we really want to spend the rest of our lives without friends? Just for fear of upsetting them? I don't think so!

My friend has shown me the true meaning of strength, determination and most of all compassion. I don't know how long she will be around for but I know she will make the most of every minute!

Life is cruel sometimes, no one should be taken away from their families at such a young age, but it's something we have to learn to live with. She will always be my friend and I will help her as much as I can. One day I hope my friends will do the same for me. It might hurt and it might be scary and at times very sad, but its worth it when you look back at what that friend has brought into your life! I know for a fact that there have been times that I was ready to give up and it was only with the support of this friend that I kept going! Our 'cancer' friends, are truly Special. We are there for each other through the crappiest weeks, months and years of our lives, we all understand each other! We are connected by the same illness, thrown together when we were at our lowest point, but forever grateful for everything that we have and continue to gain from these friendships!

Friends stick together through the good and bad times! It's not always easy and sometimes it's plain scary! But we all need each other and whatever happens we WILL help each other get through this!

Anonymous
  • Hi London Lass

I have been on the site for 9 years off and on since I was first diagnosed in 2008. Have made lots of friends on here some of whom are no longer with us. Two particular friends passed away very young 35 and 47. I think of them every day and thank them for their support and friendship.

Not all of us will survive to old age but we can live to the full while we are here. You have given the ladies on here so much good advice with your unique sense of humour.  

Be kind to yourself. I have been on Arimidex for years and am also searching for words. I forgot the name of my sister's grandchild the other day. How weird is that. 

Love

Sue xx