depression and fatigue

Less than one minute read time.

Hi, this is my first post and I'm quite nervous to be honest but you all seem so supportive so here goes. I am 47, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in May 2017, had lumpectomy and sentinel lode biopsy on June and 15 rads in August

I started back at work 6 weeks ago on a phased return - 20 goes, then 30 trying to make my way back up to 50 (think that might take a while). A new boss started while I was off after the op - had my old boss for 31 years so finding it very stressful to deal with new boss on top of everything else.

I cry a lot, don't even know why most of the time, I'm tired all the time and does anyone else have problems getting up the stairs? About halfway up I have to resort to all fours cos it feels like my legs have been lead coated (not all the time thankfully). For the first time in my life I feel a lot older than I am. Anyway, sorry to go on, much luck and love to you all. Xxx

Anonymous
  • Hi there, welcome to the online community.

It can take a year or more for the after effects to fade, unfortunately. Are you on Tamoxifen or similar? Just that a lot of what you describe can be due to being forced into menopause. (although I've had all the symptoms with a natural menopause!!).

I see you've joined the breast cancer groups - perhaps post something there, as more people will see your posts.

You have been through a lot, and we tend to forget there are emotional after effects too. It is worth considering antidepressants, in the short term at least. Anecdotal evidence suggests that Venlafaxine can help with some of the menopause symptoms too.

It's also worth getting your GP to do a full range of blood tests. You may have a deficiency in something like B12. Also thyroid and glucose tests.

Above all, be kind to yourself!!

Hugs xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, thanks for your reply. I am on tamoxifen, on my 4th month now, I did wonder if that might be the cause of the tiredness and low mood. I did speak to the doctor about it and he suggested antidepressants but I wanted to wait a while to see if things settled down by themselves but it's a good idea about the blood tests though. My periods are a bit erratic now and am getting night sweats and the occasional hot flush thru the day so I reckon it is bringing on the menopause.

Thank you for your kind words and suggestions.

Hugs back xx