Still scared!

Less than one minute read time.

My name is Lacie, I’m 28 years old and was diagnosed February 2017 with classic Hodgkin’s lymphoma stage 2. I went through 6 cycles of chemo no radiation, I had clear scans within 2 cycles. I finally finished awful ABVD September 12th 2017 now yesterday October 17th on my daughters birthday I was told there was a small increase in one of the lymnode!!! Now I’m waiting to be scheduled for a pet scan! Doctor told me not to worry but I’m terrified! I was sick during the time they gave me the CT and I know that it could be from a virus but I’m so scared I really hope I am ok and there’s no cancer growing

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Lacie. I was diagnosed with Hodgkins also 9 years ago, stage 2 Bulky (B). I was also in my late 20's. I was also treated with ABVD... I remember it was tough, but the doctors were adamant that I would be fine. "It's the slowest growing and best kind of cancer there is!" they kept saying. However, it came back a week after chemo so we did radiation (pinpoint). It wasn't too bad doing 25 rounds and it worked! Unfortunately, it came back AGAIN... after only 10 days post PETCT! It was quite aggressive. We decided to do an autologous stem cell transplant. Although it took another year of my life, the cancer institution (Moffitt Center in Tampa, Florida) was amazing and gave me another decade before having to deal with another residual cancer. But that's me. I know plenty of people that never had to deal with cancer again after transplant and without transplant. Just do everything the doctors say and you should be fine. I know it's scary, but if it doesn't go away right away, know that there are other options! That was almost a decade ago and medicine has come a long way since. You will be in my prayers. Fight the good fight and take care of YOU. This is only a small fraction of your life... and you will be here to support others in the future. Today, I am grateful for my experience. The doctors and help staff are amazing and treat not only your cancer, but your spirit and mind. Reach out (like you have here) and know that with your diagnosis, hope is plentiful!

Toni

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Lacie, I was diagnosed with NSHL stage 3b just after you in March and finished chemo in September. My midway PET showed a complete response but my end of treatment PET at the start of October had a questionable spot in my chest, where the largest mass was. The docs aren’t sure if it’s cancer or dying tissue...so I’m off to do radiation. I get where you are, it’s so scary. Feel free to get in touch if you want to chat more - I hope this is a bump in the road and nothing more for both of us xx