Rock hard neck

1 minute read time.

I was diagnosed with tonsil cancer in October 2016 and had my tonsils removed following that I had chemo radiotherapy for six weeks following that I had a neck dissection in May this year  Since my neck dissection in May.  I have been left with rock solid neck which penetrates from underneath my jaw all the way down my neck where the scar line is all the way down to where my Adams apple was in the centre of my throat   The effect of the rockhard neck feels like wood under my skin it doesn’t move and restricts my movements considerably.  It’s so uncomfortable. . 

I’ve tried to massage the neck as I was told it was remanence scar tissue  but no matter how much I try to loosen the solid composure wont Budge.  My oncologists tells me that it is unfortunately scar tissue following the neck dissection in May however other patience with you my am in touch with do not have the same problems that I am I having.  If you were to press your fingers against my neck it’s totally hard and solid and won’t even press in.  It’s mostly comfortable and I have difficulty sleeping and moving normally. 

I wondered if anyone else can share their experience similarly to what I am having as this would really help me get my head around if there is any future improvement that is likely to take place. Many thanks Simon

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Simon UK

I had my direction in September 2016, I to had a solid neck it is improving but I get mine professional massaged each week either by physio or I have a facial, but I have been going to my beautician for years and she know what I need... mine is improving but only slightly, you also may have fluid build up which makes it a little worse so go on u tube and look on how to massage lymphodema in neck that will help I do mine in the shower every morning and it helps.

I now have under my chin back most of the time, and up from my collar bone is really improving, the sides of my neck are getting there. I just accept what I have now, it's nothing compared to what I could have had. I know it will never be the same. But I have got it to the best I can... go speakers to your GP see if he would reference you to physio show you how to get the best out of your scar tissue.....

I hope this has helped

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Simon Uk

I agree with Mrs korky, ask your GP for a referral to a physio.  I had my neck dissection in 2013 and I was experiencing tightness/hardness in the neck afterwards.  A physio showed me the best way to massage the neck and it definitely helped.  

Have you found the Head & Neck group on the site?  You might find some of the discussions there helpful as well.  x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you very much for your comments it’s just great to hear that someone else out there understands and has had a similar rockhard Woody effect

under the skin. Mine goes right from under the air all the way down under the jawline and right the way down my throat to the collarbone. My oncologists did refer me to physio therapy but the physiotherapist said he didn’t want to do any work because he’s not seen before so I have since requested that I have further physiotherapy and I’m awaiting an appointment. I’m just frightened that the longer it is left like this the harder it will be for it to ever get better. I would really love it to get soft again and for me to be able to move my head around properly the lymphoedema nurse said last week that she wants to start me on a four week course of laser treatment does anyone know anything about this because it scares me slightly that they want to start using laser right at the point where the cancer was

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Simon

I only had minor lymphoedema which cleared up without intervention so I've never heard of the laser treatment.  However I know there are a few people in the Head & Neck group who've had problems with lymphoedema, so perhaps you'd like to open a new discussion about it there and hopefully someone can help you.  Not all the group read the blogs so if you ask the question in the group there should be more people reading it.  xx