Coping with a cancer diagnosis

2 minute read time.

I read many posts from different people with different types of cancer, but the one common thing I hear a lot is the warmth from others who are equally going though a rough time yet they are prepared to share their experience and knowledge. 

I didn’t react to being diagnosed with womb cancer in any way I expected. I just sat there pretty much indifferent, just like I had been told something trivial. I think it took along while before it all sank in what was wrong with me. I never had children and in some ways I regret pushing back settling down in life. But I wasn’t really interested in having children but it was my decision but the cancer had taken that decision away and I feel that is probably one of the hardest to deal with. Cancer can be life changing but also very treatable, unfortunately I know some cancers are regrettably not treatable and I feel abit selfish to feel I am alive, I have beaten it. But I am also very humble to hear some of the fantastic stories people share on how they felt about cancer. I met a gentleman who sadly had terminal cancer and he totally aspired me to not give up and to fight hard and to do all the things in life I want to do, he was very much a comedian and had me laughing so uncontrollable but I ultimately felt wow this guy doesn’t have that long to live but his determined to fight for life every step of the way and that’s someone to admire. Before I met him I had all kinds of strange feelings and I kept thinking if he can do all his doing even though he is so ill then why not me. That was the day I said right what do I need to do to beat this. Well for one having a hysterectomy and also being sensible in my need to recover. I was so well after surgery I had forgotten myself so much and doing all the wrong things and in the end hampering my recovery. So I got to a point where I felt so low and thought STOP I am not helping myself here I am exhausting myself and making myself ten times worse off. I still believe that an infection that came from a cut on my head that knocked my immune system out completely was because I was run down. It’s not just recovery from surgery or even treatments, the one thing many of us forget is that we need to recover from before we are diagnosed when your body is screaming to be heard. We need to be kind to ourselves because it’s the best way to have the strength to fight. 

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Keep fighting G bear , don’t let it beat you xxxxx

• Although I don’t like the word battle in regards to cancer, I do believe that we need every bit of strength we can muster. All we can do is do everything humanly possible to live.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Have to agree I don't like the word battle either, as in my family we have lost so many to this disease, and I think did they not battle hard enough then , but they I say to myself it's just a word  some like to use and that's fine. I lost a good friend also to cancer,  And at risk of others because of Lynch syndrome. Your blogs are very good read them both, Hope you continue to  do well  x