Be well your own way

1 minute read time.

I always wondered what exactly is wellness? Mulling over this question for a few days, I concluded that wellness is the place where both physical and mental health intersect, and the balance is restored.  

Wellness is having options along with with the ability and liberty to pursue whatever path. It is having the integrity of body, mind and soul to move forward.

I am reminded of wellness today as I retrace the steps of a younger, frailer me. A girl who was just 21 but who was brave enough to start new and damaged enough to know it would take a long time to heal. I needed a moment to find myself in a new life far from bad habits.

Wellness is also about finally taking the steps that will make you feel and look happier. As a young adult, I suffered from acne for years. Thankfully, the acne is under control, but my face was left with scarring. I wanted to treat my scarring, but I was fully focused on my battle with cancer. I eventually got around to treating my acne scars with micro needling treatments. I feel happy now that my scars are significantly less noticeable than before, but I could have done this earlier, perhaps along with my battle with cancer.   

Of course, it brings to mind the thousands of ways my life could have been different. Life is a series of tiny decisions that wear away at the rock of life like a river through a canyon. Over time, I am shaped by the choices I have made and the joys and sorrows I have endured. 

Anonymous