Emotions and cancer

2 minute read time.

Hello all I'm new to all this so forgive me if I don't make much sense..... so here's my cancer story..... was diagnosed on 5th sept with   stage 4 endocervical cancer. Was told by surgeon it's a rare type ( my surgeon has only known of 2 cases in the last 15 years and I'm the second) which to be honest has frightened me as if it's rare then they may not know much about how this rare type acts and how to treat it.

As you can imagine this was a complete shock to me and my partner. docs originally suspected ovarian cancer as I had a very large complex mass on my right ovary ( first scan bk in may ovarian mass measured 10cm ) I finally had my op on 21st august, originally surgeon was only going to take out ovary and appendix but I ended up having a radical hysterectomy ( mass was 20cms when removed and showed a similar cancer deposit ) so that was a lot to absorb as well and made us worry even more. 

So now at the age of 44 I start a new journey in my life, and this cancer journey is one that I never thought I would have to go through, it's bloody scary, my emotions are very up and down, I'm really trying to be positive but the thought of cancer and everything that comes with this heartbreaking  disease is always in the back of my mind.

So now I will need to have 5 wks intensive chemotherapy and radiotherapy, I'm told by surgeon just to kill of any cancer cells that could be lurking, the surgeon is pretty sure they got all the cancer out in surgery and para caval lymph node and omentectomy didn't show any signs. So this is promising?? 

I have my first appointment at the cancer centre on 29th sept, to discuss my treatment, I want to ask questions but I'm afraid of the answers, I keep telling myself that I may not like the answers but I want to be informed as much as possible so I know exactly what I could potentially be dealing with. 

Stay strong everyone xxxxx

I also wanted to say how amazing our NHS is! The care I have received whilst going through all this has been very committed, our nurses, surgeons and everyone involved have done amazingly and I couldn't fault the care I have received xxxxxxxxx

Anonymous