Very Nervous

Less than one minute read time.

Hi, I feel a bit of a fraud really.  For a while now I have noticed significant differences with my bowl and as I have now reached 60 a test arrived in the post.  At first I was a bit hesitant as I was embarrassed if I'm honest.  Then things began to get even worse so I did it. In less than a week I now have an appointment tomorrow for a consultation prior to a colonoscopy.  I think it's the speed of the appointment which has startled me.  Is this normal procedure?  Really don't want to tell my family as they would only worry.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi JennyWren442,

Warm welcome to the Mac Community; please don't feel a fraud or embarrassed. It makes everyone feel the same when symptoms in er' delicate areas require further investigation.

Feel pleased with yourself you have taken steps to get this checked out properly :)  as they say "There is no shame, we're all the same"

The speed of appointments at the start of all this is a bit disconcerting but any symptoms that 'could' have cancer implications do have to by law be checked out within 14 days.

There is an extensive information page about Colonoscopy you can read through here to back up any info leaflet you may have been given (if any) just click the coloured text link.

If you have any questions you would like answered by those who have experience of this procedure you could take a look at or possibly join the very active Bowel Group here (link)

You are right in keeping this to yourself for the moment, because as soon as you inform people they naturally ask questions and at this time you have no answers - Also it unsettles everyone and hopefully this will just be a case of polyps that may have started bleeeding needing a quick fix ?

Hope this is of some help to you at a worrying time, fib=ngers crossed for good news from your colonoscopy.

Keep in touch and take care, G n' J

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you, the information was really useful.