Work frustrations continue

1 minute read time.

I had hoped/ thought work would be a positive distraction, unfortunately it feels like a constant battle.

5 months on, still no chair! I understand they are expensive (a manager told me so) if a high street bank which made a very healthy profit can't afford it, then in the interest of my health then I will gladly pay for it.

My job role has been changed without consultation and without training, the new tasks I'm expected to perform are really not suitable for my health at this time.

I've approached my line manager on various occasions, I've offered a couple of solutions, but it seems the only option is to apply for a new job role, great, except there aren't any roles advertised which are suitable.

I wonder if I was in a wheel chair, would I be expected to hop out of it and climb a ladder, I hope not.

The temptation to just fall back on my income protection is very strong.

I'm aware I'm supposed to be protected by the equality act, but in real terms what does that actually mean? If a make a fuss I'm sure my work life will become unbearable, but if I don't stand up then change won't happen and others will be subjected to the same.

Anonymous
  • Hi Wedgegirl

Two things my old dad said to me when I left school and started work was -

Don't tell your mum you liked your pack-up sandwiches; or you'll get them all week  :)

The other was - If you don't lie down; they can't walk all over you...

If you type in Work and Cancer using the Information and Support tab at the top of the page there is extensive help with this (unfortunately) common issue.

You could also speak to one of the team using the free phone 0808 808 0000 support line number (Mon to Fri 9am-8pm)

Hope you get some guidance to get the help at work you deserve.

Take care, G n' J

• I waited one week, the time it took to order and deliver, for a chair at work before I was even diagnosed with cancer, it cost £220, not cheap, but far cheaper than you not working for a week due to crippling pain, I'll bet!

Can you self refer to occupational health? Either that or see if your gp can make contact with your employer?

I hope that things get easier.

Xxx

• A chair may be expensive but it is also tax deductible, so the cost should not come into the equation, especially for a profitable business. Be a pain in the ass until you have had enough, then fall back on plan B. Have fun and kind regards Frank.