Chapter 1, the story so far!

3 minute read time.

Hi World!

Never before have I even considered writing until Jeremy (that's what we have called the cancer, in reasons that will become clear later!) came along, and never before have I been told by so many people that I'm so young! Flattering? A little! But at 32 I'm forever being told that having Stage 4 Oesophageal cancer is very rare for my age. "What the f*** are you doing in my clinic" my wicked Oncologist said, "You are far too young to be here".

So let me give you a run down as to how I got to my second cycle of Chemotherapy today:

Early 2017: Issue with swallowing bread and large bits of meat

May 2017: Gradually got worse, went to GP, prescribed anti-refux tablets

Late May 2017: No improvement, referred for endoscopy

4th August: Endoscopy found Cancer in lower oesophagus. Cried. Thought my number might be up.

11th August: CT Scan. Great CT team in Huddersfield, gave me the idea for naming the Cancer on the back of a fun conversation about the current Secretary of State (Jeremy Hunt) and how the "H" in Hunt could well be a "C" instead! Naughty I know!!!

17th August: Rubbish news day in Calderdale Royal Hospital. Endoscopy, biopsys and CT showed Stage 4 Oesophageal Cancer with small metastases in the Liver. Likelihood is that I will never get rid of or "beat" the cancer. Left hospital, went for Ice Cream!

18th August: Appointment with Dr Jo Dent (Oncologist) in Huddersfield. Made me feel like I could run a marathon afterwards through her amazing attitude! Treatment all planned, blood transfusion arranged. Time to get going and kick Jeremy as hard as I can!

22nd August: Blood transfusion at Calderdale Royal Hospital to boost my red blood cells prior to Chemo beginning.

23rd August: Chemo round one! Oxaliplation and Capecitabine are my new best friends, together with a whole host of other drugs!

13th Sept: Chemo round two. Staff are just amazing at Calderdale/Huddersfield NHS trust.

So that's where I'm at! I'm over the rubbish news now, and fighting as hard as I can. Being positive is mainly in my nature, but it seems ever so important now. And if I'm not positive, I've got friends, family and an amazing medical team surrounding me who can bring me the love and positivity I need to keep pushing, keep fighting.

My family have taken the news surprisingly well and are definitely embracing the "High Calorie" cancer diet. Never before have I been bought Gold Top milk, to be honest I didn't even know they still made it! 

Worth saying my work (The Original Factory Shop, or TOFS for short) have been great too with support and allowing  me to work from home if needed (which I will be doing tomorrow thanks to the lovely tingling sensation in my fingers and arm due to the Chemo).

Finally, my partner Ben and our Dog Murphy have been out of this world. Apart from the fact Ben nearly fainted in the "rubbish news" meeting and was getting more attention from the Doctor and Nurse than me (so much so, news made it to the Oncologist the next day)! Supportive doesn't even cut it when describing how they have been. People forget that this is their fight and their struggle too.

That's my story so far. I'm in this for the marathon, not a sprint, so hopefully you will get plenty more updates from me in the future. Yes it's rubbish news, but it has really brought out the best in everyone I know, and I'm so thankful for their support. Plus don't forget the NHS. They are the real miracle workers in this country.

I'm happy being told that I'm so young for now, wouldn't it be great for someone to say at a later stage " We never expected you to get this old!!!".

Lots of love,

Paul 

Fighting Jeremy as hard as I can

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Paul

Reading your blog is such an inspiration to all. You are young I am 49 LOL

I hope all goes well and you keep well. sounds like you have very good back up from everyone especially you partner and dog.

Take care young man

Wendy (Early Breast Cancer)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Reading your positivity helped me so much. My dad was recently diagnosed with oesophagus ..... stage 1, but he's in hospital had to have a feeding tube put in as he can't eat or drink anything. I really hope you kick Jeremy's ass! I love the idea of naming it, as I won't ever say the c word and my dad in the same sentence so I think we may call it Jonathan Ross (my dad hates him) so that'll make him want to get rid of it!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Ccancer is a bloody nuisance, an unwelcome visitor that turns up uninvited, overstays its welcome, disrupts day to day life, ruins plans and sometimes has the audacity to refuse to leave.

My other half was diagnosed with bowel and bladder cancer last November, a surprise early Christmas gift discovered during surgery for what was thought to be a perforated colon. It's been a real roller coaster of a ride. He's spent as much time in the hospital as he has at home which has been tough on us both although I must admit I don't miss watching the 'man' programmes he insists on watching , i really don't care 'how it's made' or what crap the american pickers find (usually a bike part, a sign or a broken toy) or whether 2 blokes can restore a rotting car in a week. Anyway, we've done the chemo bit. (he gained 2 stone in weight, they said eat little and often, he only heard the often bit!.We got married ,seemed like a good idea and we both love a party! It was such a good day i can see why people get married more than once! He's had the surgery (3 months ago) and if it could have gone wrong it did,, he's still in hospital but like you, we're positive, well I'm positive and as he's now my husband and has to always.agree with me.as the wife is always right he's positive too whether he likes it or not!

I must confess I'm tempted to impersonate your partner and come over all faint the next time I'm visiting my husband, especially if his medical team are in close proximity, as I'm sure that the job description stated that 'it's a requirement that you resemble a Greek God'

Aanyway, sorry for the essay. Stay positive. Retain your sense of humourKeep us up to date.

Best wishes

Sal

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks all for your comments, it’s good to hear so many different experiences. You must all keep me posted on how things are going with you. Will post chapter 2 this week when I start my third round of chemo. The fight continues!

Love Paul