Hey everyone!

1 minute read time.

Hi everyone!

I'm not really sure what to do here, but I thought I'd give it a go.

My dad lost his battle with cancer in April of this year, after having a melanoma scare 3 years ago but it came back with a vengeance Christmas just gone.

My dad was the first member of my family that I've lost and it's really hit me hard. My dad was my constant in my life. He was the most amazing man. It's been just under 6 months and I'm still going through a whirlwind of emotions. I've always been that sort of person that is a closed book; I've never really been open with negative emotions, as my general persona has always been that I'm happy all the time, and I feel bad breaking this to tell people that I'm struggling. Plus I don't want people to feel awkward; they can't bring my dad back. 

He was only 66. He had such an active lifestyle (apart from when he broke his hip). He had me when he was in his early 40s, but I still thought he'd live long enough to meet any children I had and spend hours reading with them like he did with me. It just seems so unfair. I go through stages of being so angry at the fact he's taken away from me, then I'll end up in tears listening to the song he was cremated to. 

I'd love some tips on how to get through the grief, slowly but surely. I know i'll always grieve and my love for him will never go. I just get so upset when I panic and can't remember what he looks or sounds like :(

Some tips would be really appreciated. I already feel a little better for writing this blog post.

Beth x

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Beth

I lost my mum earlier this year due to an embolism back home in my native Australia. You just need time to grieve as I lost my dad to brain cancer in 1995 and he was always the healthy one as my mum was always not well due to bad heart etc.

I have lived in the UK for over 27 years now but was always a mummy's girl so think of the good times you had with him and laugh at anything that makes you laugh about him even if it just pops in  your head when you are even in the middle of doing something.

It just takes time and sometimes you may need space from people which is ok to do as I need it myself sometimes from my partner. But at the moment I also have breast cancer which was diagnosed and had an op back in July this year but I am glad that I had to never tell her over the phone but I am sure she is looking down on me with the rest of my relatives that have passed.

Look at photos from time to time and it may help you to remember sights and sounds of your dad.

take care and lot's of hugs xxxx

Wendy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Beth,

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad,he sounds like a great man.

I'm also 25 and my Dad is 65,he was diagnosed with prostate cancer 4 years ago but now it's terminal as it's gone into his bones and bladder and things are becoming very difficult. I feel terribly upset nearly all the time and like yourself i'm a closed book tend to stay positive and happy but i'm struggling recently. I know you came on here for advice but is there any advice you could give me, i'm really struggling to cope knowing what will happen soon.

If your not ready then that's not a problem i just thought i would ask you.

Thanks,

Emily x