Living with a loved one with advanced lung cancer

Less than one minute read time.

My mom has stage 4 cancer. Prior to being diagnosed she has this smell in her room, now its more stronger and is smelled throughout the house. I can't explain the smell but it is strong and makes me sick to my stomach. I feel sorry for my mom as she's lost so much weight and hurts something awful. The cancer is in her femer bone and pelvic area and shoulder back neck and rumors in her  lung and  throughout her body. She stated chemo and she is even white not eating but two bite of good at a time

This is all new to me and I was wondering what to expect. The Dr days with chemo it'll give her more time with us but not cure the cancer if this is going to be her quality of life on chemo I am not sure I can watch this. I'm my moms caregiver I love with her and put my life on hold my husband and kids understand as she's my mom and sick. Thank you for reading please let b me know if you have been through this as I feel I'm over v my head.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi darling,

I felt every bit of your worry and pain as I read that.

This time last year I lost my grandma to lung cancer. She was diagnosed a fair few years ago and at the time was told chemo will give her more time although the cancer was incurable. Well I believe this was wrong! Her way of life while going through chemo was AWFUL, she was in so much pain and unable to eat. It was only when she refused the chemo that she brightened up and actually lived two more years, then passed away last year.

I believe chemo is the right treatment for many people, but if you see all the wrong signs and you think your moms way of life is worsening, then maybe something needs to change.

Sending all my love and best wishes to your mom and of course all the strength and positivity to both of you.

Steph xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Brenda,

So sorry to hear about your Mum. Its very tough going watching someone you love so much suffering.

My Pops has prostrate cancer which has now spread to his pelvis and lymphatic system. He is 77 and stopped his chemotherapy after two cycles. He was simply too ill to continue with it, my Dad decided to stop it, with our full agreement. I have never seen him so ill. He is back to his old self now but of course there are consequences for having no treatment, he weighed up what was best for him at this point im his life and it was quality of life now that he wanted.

Just as Steph said chemotherapy really does work for a lot of people, its an individual thing. The Macmillan help line is fantastic if you feel like your not coping or feel overwhelmed by everything.

Sending you lots and lots of love.

Michaela