Ultrasound says kidneys and bladder are normal

Less than one minute read time.

Ten days I presented yet another Gross Hematuria. It was after I been for a 10k jog. When I got home I urinated prior to showering and was absolutely shocked to see the output. I immediately went to my GP and after taking a urine test, was put my on the 'Two Week Wait' appointment with Milton Keynes Hospital. He subsequently called me to advise that the urine test disclosed traces of blood. 

I attended Milton Keyes hospital last week for an ultrasound scan. Nothing out of the ordinary was observed and the operator seemed very positive that my kidneys and bladder were clear of tumours. I have a flexible cystoscope scheduled on Friday. 

Two things weigh heavily on my mind:

1. How accurate is ultrasound in detecting tumours. 

2. Could the Gross Hematuria been caused by running. 

Anonymous
  • Hello jrj1954 and welcome to the community. Ultrasounds can detect if tumours are there, but cannot see inside the bladder. BC comes in different forms and not always as tumours.That's where the cystoscopy comes in. It is always possible haematuria can be caused by extreme activity. Best wishes.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

rily: Thank you very much for your 28/8 response to my post. I am relieved to say that the cystoscopy disclosed a stone at the top of my urethra, as it joins my bladder. I had a good look at the inside of my bladder on an overhead screen and was delighted to see it was as clear as a mountain spring. No coral at all. I'm told by the oncologist that the stone probably formed after my urethra was rejoined to my bladder as part of my radical prostatectomy. I'm advised that this is not uncommon and await surgery to remove it. i so longer look forward to sleeping straight through the night. I wish you happiness and health.