Stomach Cancer - My journey

• 221217 - Two weeks post op

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Two weeks ago now, 8th December, I was lying in ICU having spent 8 hours in OR. When I came round I was happy to hear that they had left me with 20% of my stomach. They had managed to perform the sub total gastrectomy by keyhole surgery which was a huge relief. My surgeon had told me that was the plan but also gave me the spiel about how things could change when they put the camera in for a look. I know that they have…

• Chemo 2 - Second attempt 250917

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Back in hospital as an outpatient. 9am blood tests taken.  Good news the nurse says we can go ahead. A few minutes later the oncologist comes in to say that my liver levels are a bit high so he's only giving me a half dose of the first drug. The next two drugs go through and everything seems to be fine. I've even eaten the lovely packed lunch that my friend Miranda has made for me. The nurse hooks up the 4th drug which…

• First appointment with the oncologist

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Met with the oncologist today. I really like him. He's German and has a sense of humour.  He spent a lot of time with me even giving his secretary a rollicking because she put two phone calls through to him when he was dealing with me. 

My ex-husband  (we're still friends) and my friend Kath came with me which was a good support.  The doc said "This is a tough team"! He also said to me "You are tough. You have come…

• 060318 - Post-op chemo Final Round

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well that's chemo finished, hopefully. Nothing special to report other than the usual fatigue. 

I was expecting to have a CT scan in three weeks time so was disappointed to be told by my oncologist that I will only have an ultrasound on my abdomen on 4th April and will have to wait until June for the CT scan. When I asked why he said that it was due to the risks from radiation!

I think that the worst part of…

• 040418 - First post-treatment Check-up

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Chemo finished on 7th March. After almost 6 months of planned treatment, I've been feeling a bit like I'm in limbo. Had an abdominal ultrasound this morning. The oncologist seemed a bit concerned that the lower part of my liver was a bit rough rather than being smoother like the top part. He said it could have been the machine and he couldn't see any metastases but wants to follow-up in two months rather than three. He…