Three weeks in

Less than one minute read time.

It is now exactly three weeks since the phone call that changed my life. I have run the whole gamut of emotions since then. After living and working abroad for over 35 years I had decided to take early retirement and return to my Scottish roots. At the moment I should be packing and preparing to move all my belongings back to the UK next month. Instead, I will stay here for some considerable time longer to have treatment and surgery. Not only that, I will have to do so with a 50% reduction in income. At the moment I feel as if my life is all about cancer. What the hell did I ever talk about before? On Monday I will see the oncologist for the first time.  I have already been told that I am facing chemo and then full gastrectomy. 

I am feeling very scared about the months ahead.

Anonymous
  • Hi

I'm in Hamilton and I had a gastrectomy at the start of April. Happy to chat or answer any questions any time.

Good luck

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Graeme. I would really appreciate that. I'm feeling a bit isolated at the moment. Anne Marie 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

The mind runs at a hundred miles an hour following diagnosis.  I found that.  But, once you start treatment you will feel some control come back.  See it as the start of removing this unwanted visitor from your life, each treatment takes you one step closer.

Fingers crossed that all goes as smoothly as it can for you over the coming weeks and months xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks Blueeric. All the best to you too. X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, I had my gastrectomy in December....quickly after discovering the problem. Part of the problem is no time to process the unexpected and disruption and changes....fab idea to start blog before procedure... hope you post frequently, even if just a few words at times...good luck....lots of it will be suprisingly better than you imagine....and ...you will become knowledgeable about bit B12 and poo and stuff : )

Goide luck