5 years on!

1 minute read time.

It is now January 2023 and almost 5 years since my mx. I am ‘still’ waiting for the contralateral mx and reconstruction, thanks to delays caused by Covid. I feel normal again. I am trying to be normal again, but fear eats away at every waking moment and often creeps into my sleep too. I have spinal degradation, brought on by the treatment, which makes it painful to do anything, even walk, but I’m alive. I worry about how long for though. I am renovating my house and often wonder if I will see it finished and if so, will I enjoy it for long. Will someone else take my place, benefit from all my hard work? I hate thinking like this. Dark thoughts, damaging thoughts to have. To share them with anyone that I care about would be cruel, selfish, so I have decided to share on here. There’s not much more to say and I’m sure that many of you have the same dark thoughts, the same worries. I know that many of you have a secondary diagnosis, so I feel ashamed to have such a strong need to share, selfish that I am willing to burden others to make myself feel better. I just want to talk, but sadly it’s not an option.

Anonymous
  • Hi JoDec, your post resonated with me - I have just finished chemo & now need to begin the process of getting my life back. I understand the fear you feel & I am thinking of getting some counselling to help me deal with this as I don’t want to talk about it in real life either, I think most people (who haven’t been through this) generally just assume I am “cured” now so don’t really understand & I don’t want to burden them with my dark thoughts either  Take care & good luck with everything xx 

• Hi Meanegg, how are you getting on? It’s a while since you finished your chemo, so I expect your hair is properly through again and life is getting back to normal? Let me know how you are. Apologies for the depressing post above. We all have days like that, given what we have been through, but it helps to have somewhere to share those dark, damaging thoughts, without putting the dread into those that we love. I hope that you are well, but please let me know. Xx