That was more than I bargained for.

2 minute read time.

1st June 2017

The day I was told I have cancer. Yesterday I went for routine laparotomy at Salford Royal hospital in Manchester to remove multiple fibroids, that surgery went really well and the surgeon managed to remove all 12 of my fibroids and reduce my womb from the size of a watermelon back to a pear, a miracle in it's self!

Whilst in recovery I came across all strange and started losing control of my left side, I managed to get the attention of one of the nurses who helped me through my seizure like episode. 

When I came around I was surrounded by a team who were incredible. They cared so much and really wanted to get to the bottom of what had happened. My BP was stable throughout, no temperature and nothing unusual. 

I settled for a few hours and then went to get moved to a ward, on my way to the ward I had another episode, this time I was conscious the whole time and Julia, my nurse spoke to me throughout and kept me calm. She is the real hero to me in all of this, she looked after me so much better than I could ever have dreamed of.

As a result of the second seizure I was taken for a head CT. I was taken to a recovery ward, the DR came in, closely followed by Julia and another Dr, he told me that they had found a tumour on my brain. I was so high on drugs that I didn't really are it in, I simply thought it was ok and would go away.

I called my wife and told her the news, I could hear the upset in her voice as soon as the words left my lips. She wanted to speak to the DR, which she did. Despite being in a lucid state, I could see his lips move and the word cancer come out.

An hour or so later the family descended on me, I could see the upset in all of them. My mum and dad, Sara all had the shock and upset written all over them. They didn't think I knew at this point, I just played it down and remained positive. I tried to sleep through and pretend it was all a bad dream. 

Needless to say When I woke up the next day the DR who had given me the news was there to explain a little more and that I do have a cancerous tumour in the brain.

I keep going through it not feeling real and it's not happening to me, then I find myself telling my best friend and when the words come out it makes it real and I am dealing with having cancer at 36. I'm probably the fittest and healthiest I have even been in my life, I climbed to Everest base camp in January this year for peats sake!! 

Let's see what happens next.

Anonymous