Watch & Wait - Hospital discharge to GP care?

Less than one minute read time.

Has anyone who is a patient on the watch & wait path been discharged / or told they will be discharged from hospital back to GP care unless / until their medical situation changes?. This is what I have been told is on the horizon. My experience in getting to diagnosis point was full of mental torment, and frankly the concept of being 'dropped out of the system' fills me with dread.

To lose the ability for a telephone consultation with hospital cancer care nurse who has direct access to consultant, and with access to the consultant's diary if an appointment should be necessary, compared with the problems with getting to see a GP, starting with negotiating the telephone switchboard / online booking system, then actually getting the appointment (telephone or in person) followed by delays with a referral - the whole cycle would take weeks from start to finish, it's an unwelcome path forwards.

So does anyone know better?  

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Morning Smileyman

It's always a bit unnerving when they take off your stabilser wheels and pull the rug (nhs safety net) out from under you :-/

You don't actually go back right to the start if something changes in the future, you will always have one foot in the door and they have all your 'nhs notes' to fall back on for background info.

Even when discharged you are still on watch and wait as such (like everyone here in remission) so if you need an appointment at any time do play the lymphoma cancer card and don't be fobbed off by any of the firewall receptionists.

Have you thought about joining the Non Hodgkin Group (link) and posting this there as a New Discussion ? I'm sure you will get several replies as it is the most active NHL group.

Hope this helps - please don't miss today's sunshine worrying about tomorrow's rain :)

Take care, G n' J