One week in!

1 minute read time.

This whole  experience is still not completely real to me but really think my thoughts now will be helpful to me at some point down the line, this had come from nowhere! I have had sciatica pain for a few weeks and whilst out for my birthday with my partner and sons 14 and 8 trying on wedding shoes - we are supposed to be getting married at the end of July! I noticed my foot had no feeling the boys dragged me on to lunch and later whilst peeing I noticed I didn't know I had stopped as the toilets were noisy! Went back to gp next morning he told me stronger painkillers and get on with it - I was dragging my leg by this time so called the physio I am due am appointment with she advised me to go to a&e and thanks to her I am not paralyzed! After MRI's bloods, reflex tests anal examinations that whizzed by without too much discomfort me and mum were told there was considerable pressure on my spine due to one of many tumors on my spine possibly being shot from a mass on my lung I have further discovered after my first radiotherapy the next day masses are detected also in bone liver and pancreas. I have my last of 5 radiotherapy sessions tomorrow on the tumor compressing my spinal cord aiming at relieving the pressure and am awaiting biopsies in three sights to start fact finding to see what this is and Most importantly my prognosis. I had absolutely no other symptoms we are not in a position to tell the children anything and it's the not knowing that's most frightening! I always wanted to try a blog so this can be the time! I will update my journey as it develops and would love any advice or stories of hope xx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

It it is such a shitty disease- and a horrendous situation to get your head around, but you will. I have just found out that my back pain is the return of my breast cancer (treated 4yrs ago) and now have advanced cancer in pelvis, spine, neck and liver and I also have young children. I have told them that the cancer is back and being v open about treatment one day at a time - I am not telling them my prognosis- just living as much as I can every day - do all those good things you want to do - get married, have a jolly good party and don't let your life be ruled by this ruddy disease.

Big hugs across the net

And do your best to keep smiling (excellent top tip I was given - if you feel like crying, open your mouth wide as you can't cry with your mouth open and it will make you smile as it makes you look ridiculous!).

All the best

Judith

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thankyou so much, I also think there is no benefit from terrifying children with the unknown and I've actually had my first biopsy this afternoon, so hopefully we may start to get some idea of what's happening at the moment mums in hospital with a bad back and they are loving life without nagging! Thank you for replying And keep being an inspiration xx