Sometimes palliative end-of-life care doesn't deliver a peaceful death

Less than one minute read time.

I posted the following info in a discussion thread in the Living with incurable cancer group and I wanted to keep a reference to it, so here it is.

With reference to hospice end-of-life care that doesn't always deliver a peaceful death, I found this, from Nov 2017, on the Dignity in Dying website.

https://features.dignityindying.org.uk/true-cost-dignitas/

The full report is at https://www.dignityindying.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/DiD_True_Cost_report_FINAL_WEB.pdf

In particular, pages 45-48, "11. Painful deaths".

Quote:

We know that even in hospices, where we can assume that the standard of palliative care is excellent, approximately 1.4% of bereaved relatives report that their loved one received no effective relief of pain during the last three months of life. A further 12% report their loved one receiving only partial pain relief.

While these figures represent a minority, they equate to many thousands of people every year experiencing pain at the end of their lives.

(end of quote)

There are some actual cases and views of relatives that make tough reading. I don't advise you to read if you're squeamish or worried about pain that cannot be eased.

Tom, The Singing Biker

Keep Calm and Play the Ukulele

Anonymous
  • Hi Tom,

Many thanks for sharing this. I have been keeping a close eye on that thread and I think you raise some very valid points. I am a big advocate of choice. I worry about controls but if other countries can do it, I don’t know why it couldn’t be sensibly explored.

Not sure if you have seen the new Netflix film “Paddleton”. It is a bit boring in places but the final 20 minutes are very powerful - I didn’t realize the US had the option discussed in the film?

All the best

Greg

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks, Greg.

I cancelled my Netflix recently, so I won't be watching "Paddleton". Ah, well.

Tom.