Ultra radical surgery for ovarian cancer

1 minute read time.

Hello, my name is Lin and I have recently been diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer.  It was a real shock, I am 69 yrs old and up until 6 weeks ago I have been fit and healthy, so I am still in shock as is my husband and family.  Everything is happening quite quickly, I have had scans, biopsies taken, ecg, bloods and a fitness test, I have also had an initial meeting with a surgeon.  He was a lovely man and was very patient, explaining what was happening in my body and what they could offer me in the way of treatment. He said I could have ultra radical surgery followed by 6 sessions of chemo or 3 chemo then radical surgery followed by three more chemo's.   Well it's decision time an I'm finding it really difficult to make a firm decision - my gut says go with the ultra radical, I know it is quite extreme but my choices and outlook seem quite limited.  I would really appreciate talking to fellow cancer patients who have had the ultra radical surgery, I would like to know how they coped and how they feel post surgery.  My family will back me up whatever I decide, their show of love and support for me has been amazing, I am truly blessed I know but in this I am alone.  Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.  Please help, many thanks Lin.

Anonymous
  • Lin, i wish i could help but i have a totally different cancer.  It might be a good idea to post this in the ovarian group as you've posted in the blogs And not everyone bothers to read them.

good luck with your decision.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Lin,

Ihavent received a diagnosis yet but i seem to have a lot of the symptoms so i don't know anything about treatments or surgery. I would however agree with roni in posting your concerns in the forum im sure you would get some advice there.

I the mean time do as much research into the options you've been given & ask a lot of questions to your oncologist, what sort of success rate has hehad with patients choosing ultra radical?

I wish you all the very best & pleased you have such a good family support.

X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Lin

So sorry for your diagnosis. My Mother was diagnosed with exactly this in 2004. We did the radical surgery and she survived almost 9 years! Her quality of life was good and she had years of disease going totally undetected! The next several years and the last few have had improvements in treating cancer. I would assume I would be treated as if I had a chronic long term illness and LIVE!!! You hopefully have some nice help to nurse you thru this. I will pray for your miracle and successful treatment.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Lin

So sorry for your diagnosis. My Mother was diagnosed with exactly this in 2004. We did the radical surgery and she survived almost 9 years! Her quality of life was good and she had years of disease going totally undetected! The next several years and the last few have had improvements in treating cancer. I would assume I would be treated as if I had a chronic long term illness and LIVE!!! You hopefully have some nice help to nurse you thru this. I will pray for your miracle and successful treatment.