Beauty and the Beast

• Recovery at Home (Week Two)

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thursday June 8th.

It was great to feel that the biggest problem was the weather. Hope we are not going to have a summer of sunshine, blue skies but with unpleasantly strong winds.

I thought that Val was a little on the quiet side today but she assured me that she was happy and fine. She was certainly able, with the aid of her perching stool, to fry some eggs to go with our supper. I will own up at this point to the…

• Recovery at Home (Week One)

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thursday June 1st.

The day started with an excited phone call from Val telling me that she would be coming home tomorrow! So began preparations for a long anticipated home coming.

Having learnt the hard way over the last few months that it doesn’t pay to assume I rang the District Nurses at our GP practice and told them that Val was coming home on Friday although I was not able to specify a time. The District Nurse wanted…

• The Road to Recovery (Week Six)

FormerMember
    FormerMember

The Road to Recovery (WeekSix)

Thursday May 25th.

In terms of Val’s overall situation there was no change. When I arrived the physio was with her but because her blood pressure was deemed to be too low then that was the end of that session. I am sure we were told what seems a lifetime ago now but was probably only three weeks, that standing up and starting to move around would help normalise her blood pressure. Also with…

• Road to Recovery (Week 5)

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thursday May 18th.

A day that for me started badly but then got better.

I was unable to get through to Val on her mobile and when I rang the ward the ward clerk made it sound as if there was an issue with Val – “nurse and doctor are with her and she is very quiet. No I can’t tell you anymore. You will need to ring back and speak to the nurse.”

My concern button had been well and truly pushed particularly…

• The Road to Recovery (Week 4)

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thursday May 11th.

The “Moving on from Critical Care” leaflet has a section on mood changes which states:

“It is a normal reaction to illness to experience mood changes. Feeling “down” or depressed is also common; this will improve with time…”

And so that was what I faced when I visited Val at 3.00, a totally different woman to the one who had spoken to me on the phone that morning…