First things first.

3 minute read time.

Hi, My name is Alec I'm 22 years old from London. 

I'm not really sure about blogging or if this is even the place to be writing this, but I needed a space of my own for my thoughts. 

In August 2016 my father was diagnosed with Terminal Lung cancer and given a life expectancy of 18 months. Now To say we didn't see it coming would be a lie, dad was a heavy smoker and still does smoke, so it wasn't a complete surprise that this had come around. 

But for me at the age of 22, I didn't know how to deal with this information, as my father has always been my role model and my best mate, we have done absolutely everything together since I was able to walk and talk, and the idea of knowing that I'd lose him before I turn 25 completely and utterly threw me. It took a while for me to process the information and I also a smoker started to smoke more and turned to drink, thinking that all my problems would be solved at the bottom of a bottle. 

I started to shove the idea of dad having cancer out of my head so I didn't have to deal with it, but this just made things worse. Seeing My old Man go from life of the party and everybody's mate, to a couch potato and never leaving the house broke me. It broke me to the point that my mental state deteriorated and I ended up in hospital myself after trying to take my own life one night. 

Hospital visits with dad to watch him undergo chemotherapy and radiotherapy were hard for me, seeing the strongest person I know attached to a drip for hours on end was mostly unbearable. Harder still for me have been the meetings with the doctor and the rest of our family, locked in a room with my mum, sister, dad and a doctor, waiting to hear how badly or not the cancer is affecting my dad and how well or not the treatment is working, this pretty much turned me into a human shell and I refused to talk in these meetings and still do. 

After a 3 or so month course dad chose to stop chemotherapy as it wasn't having the ultimate desired affect, but he chose to Have radiotherapy as recommended by the doctor. He went through a month long course of radiotherapy, which brings us to now, 2 months after the radiotherapy finished and almost 12 months into the predicted 18. 

We were told that the side affects wouldn't kick in until two weeks after, dad showed no sign of side affects for 2 months and at the end of those 2 months, we were told that his tumour had shrunk fairly well and we may be able to add another year onto his life. Great! Or at least you'd think so right?

Well the week comencing the 3rd of April and everything seems to be going wrong again. Dad seems to have taken a turn for the worst, he is refusing to leave the house and refuses to take part in any activity/event he is invited to, his food intake has dropped again from what it was before and his attitude towards the family and our help has been less than pleasant. 

While everything was going well I had closed myself off again and refused to acknowledge my feelings on the situation. But the last week was so stressful that I couldn't face entering the family's home. I have spent this morning all over the place filled with emotions and regret of not being there to help him, my mother and sister. 

The current state that he is in, i find it hard to deal with and I'm trying my hardest not turn back to drinking. But I feel lost without that release in my life, I feel today may be the day that I crack. 

Whilst writing this dad has called me asking for help with shopping, so im going to stop writing and go help him, today might be the turn he needs. 

I will post an update later. 

Alec

X

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Alec,

I want you to know I understand. In August we found out my Dad had cancer, and we were immediately told it was terminal. They have him 12 months max, but we only got to keep him for 4. We lost him in December.

I'm a little older than you at 27 (only just turned 27 when we lost him), but the pain I feel is unbearable. I miss him every second of every day.

Having coped with depression since my teens, I constantly felt (and sometimes still do) that the best thing would be to go with him. However, he was fighting. He was fighting to stay alive, and stay with us. He didnt receive chemo or any real treatment but never once complained. He was making sure we were ok. I've never been so proud of anyone in my life. Seeing how he faced it made me realise I'd be selfish, and really really stupid to waste it all.

Some people don't get the chance to fight. Some people do. We're all together in this on this site and we're all here if you want to talk. Just remember that your Dad is trying his best to stay with you all. Do the same for him. You're stronger than you know.

Here if you need to chat. Sending you so much positivity and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you x

• My only advice to you at the moment is to call the Macmillan number below 0808 808 00 00. There will be people far more experience than I have.

Hopefully some more replies will come in soon and that you will find them helpful.

This is really tough stuff you are dealing with and so young. Keep posting and reading. We all find this community helpful, supportive and listening.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi AlecJ94,

I'm so sorry to read about your dad and the difficulties you've been experiencing since his diagnosis. It's really brave to share your story. IF you need further support please remember you can join our Family and friends - Discussion Forum (Forum) group.

We've featured this on our homepage so more people will be able to read it.

Best wishes

Jess

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Alec,

I've never posted on here before, but have tried to get a feel of the site.

Sorry to hear re your Dad. Albeit this site is for families and patients with cancer, no one will ever walk in your shoes, so we can only imagine how you must be feeling, coping and the pain you feel.

I wanted to post, as I connected very much so with the mental health side of your post. I was diagnosed with Bipolar last year and have struggled massively and still am with the disorder and medication required.

My husband was diagnosed with tongue cancer in Jan and has just finished his 6 week chemoradiotherapy. He has deteriorated so quickly and it breaks my heart to see. As my Bipolar is already all over the place my coping capabilites are wobbled. (A massive understatement) My youngest boy (19) is suffering from depression and this has all exacerbated his condition and ability to cope with life. He too had a suicide attempt when we first knew things were going down the cancer route. My other son (26) is an alcoholic and hes increased his drinking to try to heal his pain, emotion and reality.

All I can say Alec, is take one moment at a time. Thats all we can do. We can restart our days numerous times but must try to grasp any positives from the awful situation you are in.

Maybe you posting on here has vented a little emotion - frustration, anger, fear, heartache. We all need this and I guess having a forum where you can be honest and never be judged is a positive. Everyone on here has been affected by the cruelty of cancer.

II hate it all. My life is now a full time carer and as much as I love him, it sucks.

Jne

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi !

sorry to hear . i was diagnosed with cancer 5 months ago , I have a 12 years old son . Recently he abandoned me and went to live with his father. Prob could not cope with pressure . He's my sole reason to live . Absolutely heartbroken