Live in Hope

4 minute read time.

I was diagnosed with Stage 3, grade 3 Follicular Non Hodgkins Lymphoma in April 2016.  I was 49 at the time, a single mum of two teenage boys (which I still am, although now turned 50!).  The eldest of my sons was about to sit his GCSE's which started three weeks after my diagnosis. When I was diagnosed it was a bomb shell, much like others. I was well aware of the disease as my mother had the same condition and had died of it 5 years after her initial diagnosis after 2 relapses some 13 years before.  That was a scary benchmark and my boys and brothers found that difficult to deal with and we keep reminding ourselves that treatment has come on a long way since then.

I delayed the start of my treatment until after my eldest son's GCSE's had finished. My consultant was fine with this although made it clear I needed to start treatment within 6 months.  I know 'watch and wait'  is a common approach for those with FNHL, but in my case this was not an option for too long due to it being grade 3, advanced and I was experiencing all the symptoms.  

I commenced 6 months of chemo on the B-R regime in July 2016 with my last chemo session in December 2016.  I was grateful that I kept my hair, although suffered significantly with sickness and nausea throughout my treatment, even on the maximum anti sickness drugs they could give me.  Extreme fatigue also was a challenge, as was being thrown into menopause.  All of this prevented me from working, with maintaining the house and being a mum being enough for me to manage during that time.  I got through it though and am now in remission and on Rituximab maintenance treatment and went back to work on a phased return 2 months post chemo and now working towards full time work 4 months post chemo..  I understand that the B-R regime can be kinder than others and I am grateful for that. I know the lymphoma is likely to relapse one day due to the type I have, however for now I hope the Rituximab does it's job and extends my remission time for as long as possible and that I can enjoy many years before facing full chemo treatment again.  

Unfortunately some activity showed up on my PET CT scan in my colon so I am undergoing further tests for that having been referred for a full colonoscopy under sedation due in 2 weeks.  However am hopeful this is just chemo damage and my body will repair.  I have had my second round of Rituximab today which prompted me to reflect how far I had come and share my story.  A full year on and my youngest is now about to take his GCSE's starting in May.  What a year it has been.  Despite everything my eldest achieved tremendous GCSE results getting 4 'A*'s, 6 'A's' and 2 'B's' and is now in studying his 'A' levels.  I am proud of how both my boys have coped but never under estimate the impact my diagnosis and treatment has had on them.  I am so conscious this disease does not just affect those diagnosed but also affects the whole family and friends around you.

My message to anyone reading this is that whilst I recognise there are so many different types of NHL and everyone has different experiences, different treatment plans and different responses to the treatment, I want to pass HOPE to you all.  Whether you be a relative or friend worried about some-one who has been diagnosed or you have been diagnosed yourself or are in the middle of treatment, on 'watch and wait', in maintentance treatment, in remission or relapsed, there is so much they can do now.  We can all but try and face this chronic disease with as much strength and positivity as we can.  There are times when you may be scared, times when you may feel weak, times when you wonder 'why me?', times when you just feel so ill, times of never ending tears and fear, and all of this is absolutely normal, no matter how strong a person you are or what ever age you are, male of female.  You are not alone - I would do anything to just provide some words of comfort, reassurance or just a listening ear to anyone that needs it.  I have been there, am still there and will be there for the rest of my life - this disease is here to stay but I will not let it beat me and will do what I can to support others who have been touched by this disease.  I have heard of so many stories of people who have lived for years and decades with this disease, that's a heck of a long time to enjoy life and have the best fun you can when the disease is quiet and dormant.  

Take care all - sending my strength and love to everyone who has reason to be on this site and reading my blog.

xxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks this is an inspiring story. I'm 55 and was diagnosed two and half years ago with low grade NHL. My son is 13 and just about to start his exams. Ive coped mostly so far by ignoring it - most of the time!! Apart from being very tired I am really lucky with side effects. 

It is scary though and when you act normal people just forget you are actually ill. Mostly thats' a good thing but other times its difficult. I find it harder to make decisions and to organise things like before. I suppose thats part of the treatment or maybe just my age. The most difficult thing though is being robbed of your vitality. It's hard to imagine having the energy to do anything like as much as before. I know things could be so much worse so I must not complain. It's been good to read your story. Please keep in touch.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Ladylike

I'm glad you enjoyed my story and so sorry you have to bear this disease too but so hope that you can find some solace in my journey. 

I totally relate to all that you say and I guess we all try and find a way through which may involve making changes but still being able to find so much fulfilment in life. I  also recently completed a HOPE course with MacMillan which so helped me to listen and share support with others who had been through cancer treatment - although not NHL there was such comfort in knowing we all could relate to each others experiences and felt safe off loading without being judged or having to try and be strong for others, or at least thinking we had to.  We are remaining in touch as a group and I have newly formed special friendships I will treasure as a result.  It also gave me a few coping mechanisms and I have really found them useful in those less positive moments, or time when my head spins with it all.  Not sure if you have done this or have access to one in your area - if not and you think this will work for you it may be worth speaking to your MacMillan Nurse to see if they can help.

For now know my thoughts are with you and truly hope you find the energy to be a mum for that lovely 13 year old son of yours. Most importantly though give time for yourself too and be kind to yourself.

I will keep you posted and message me anytime.

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I am a mother of two young children and have MDS. I am told I will "go straight to transplant" and am currently on watch and wait. Today I am very scared and overwhelmed and needed some encouragement and HOPE, so thank you for this. I know its not the same disease but the uncertainty, fear, doubt, worry for our children is the same. xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks for the great article Kazzicle. I'm 74 and  I was diagnosed on 2 April this year (2019) with grade 3 Bulky Follicular Lymphoma and had my first chemo on 2nd May, 1 week and 1 day ago.  I'm having Obinutuzumab & CVP.  Obinutuzumab is a follow on from Retuximab I'm told. My question is, when the heck will I start feeling more normal?  I am wasted, feel sick all the time, am massively constipated, dizzy, headaches etc. And my emotions are in turmoil. Your blog was uplifting, and I'm so grateful that you shared your experiences.  Your boys must be as proud of you as you are of them, and I hope and pray for your continued success along this journey.