Unusual Side Effects of FEC

Less than one minute read time.

Hi All,

Following my first chemo on 30th May, I had terrible pains in my left calf (down from knee to ankle) it really ached. I went to my GP who said it was nothing to do with the chemo - it is the site of an injury I incurred when hit by a car in 1981. I said I thought it was strange that this injury suddenly hurt me after 36 years of nothing but a few cramps in it? GP gave me cream and painkillers. 4 days later I insisted on another appointment and was referred for an ultrasound. On Sunday (9th July) I went for the ultrasound and was diagnosed with a DVT in my left calf!!! I was so shocked as the pain had by then subsided - although after second chemo both legs had ached - and now I have to inject Clexane into my stomach every day for at least 6 months.

So if you have aching legs following chemo, don't be fobbed off - insist on a scan.

Hannah x

Anonymous
  • Hi Hannah / Marie50

Which just goes to show you should always follow your instincts :)

Did you mean to post this to the Breast Group btw ?

Just wondering as it is great info and would reach more members that way.

Take care, shame about the Clexane but better than the alternative, G n' J

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Dreamthief,

Exactly - we do know our own bodies don't we?  I also have really sore eyes when I've been asleep - it is just so hard to open them, it actually gives me a headache just opening my eyes.

Luckily, I had a GP call booked this morning and he prescribed me with ointment and drops to keep the eyeballs moist - he said that I had fluid in my leg and I'd need antibiotics for it too, but to be honest I put that off for now, too many treatments at once and it's getting me down all this pill popping.

The thought of an undiagnosed DVT and all the possible (even fatal) complications really frightened me I can tell you.

Thanks again,

Hannah