First chemo done

1 minute read time.

Hello everyone,

I had my first chemo on 30th May and apart from a little bit of trouble getting the cannula in, it went okay on the day.  The final of the 6 syringes of 'stuff' did start to make my vein ache a little bit as it went in, but it was bearable.

Since then, I have had some side effects - a dizzy day, a bruised-like pain day, a completely wiped out day - couldn't stop eating for the first ten days after, but that has now been replaced with nausea so I'm back taking the anti-sickness tablets again to keep that awful feeling at bay.

So today is day 16 post first chemo and my head started to feel sore yesterday - today my hair has begun to come out.  I have always had short hair so I am probably not going to be as devastated about hair loss as women with luscious locks must feel, but I'm still not too happy about having bald patches and possibly a completely bald head, so I've purchased a lovely wig that is in a totally different style to mine (it's a short bob) which I've primarily bought for two weddings this summer that I hope I'm well enough to go to (it's important at a wedding that the guests should be focussing on the bride and they should be enjoying the happiness of the day, so I'll wear the wig if I go).

I am dreading the second chemo session - who wouldn't? But I am trying to stay as positive as I can and just think that it's one more to tick off the list of 'horrible things that happened in 2017'.

Happy Wednesday to you all!

Hannah x

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

R

eally well done for getting through round one. Make a diary of the days you felt bad and what the symptoms were and then do the same for your next one. Will give you an idea if you've got a pattern going.

That said, you did it!! First one down. It's totally crap but totally bearable.

You take care. Xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi ParaArcher,

Thanks for your reply. My husband drove me over to France for the weekend, literally Friday to Sunday, but it was such a great diversion from all of this. My hair started to fall out on Thursday, properly, and by Sunday morning, i just had tufts and a tiny awful looking combover- really not a great look!

When we got home, my lovely man cropped it with the clippers and then wet shaved it all off. It is too hot for the wig, but I already have an impressive hat collection and am ok with nothing on at home - it's strange passing a mirror though and thinking 'wow!' each time I catch a glimpse of my head!

Had bloods done today ready for tomorrow and chemo #2...

Take care,

Hannah x