Everyone needs a nest day!

2 minute read time.

Duvet days are so last year! What you need is a nest day! Today is a nest day for me.

I've pushed myself too hard the last couple of days, and today I feel a little bit broken. So I have gathered food and drink from the kitchen that will last me the day, and it is set up on the sofa beside me. I have then got two blankets, one is wrapped around my feet and lower legs, while the other covers me from head to toe, with extra at the sides and top to nestle into.

The reason for the two blankets is because I just couldn't get warm today. The heating was on, but I was still cold and it was drying me out and making me cough - so off it went. Socks annoy me when I'm in the house. Can't wear high necks after my ops, cause it feels like I'm being strangled. And for some WEIRD reason, I don't like sleeves that go beyond my elbow. Don't ask, I don't know, they just stress me out and get rolled up immediately. I'm odd. Lol. Hot drinks helped the throat and cold feeling, but that's a lot of up and down and hanging around. So..... nest building happened.

The fleece blanket around my legs came from a friend of a friend changing her colour scheme. Lovely big fleece blanket. While the one covering me is the BEST purchase ever.... well, not quite. But def top 10. Lol. It's a king size, double layer fleece blanket that I got from Leeds market for a haggled down price of £25. I love it! Sooooo big and snuggly.

Side note - Ladybug hates it. She's odd like me, and hates anything with a fluffy texture under her paws. So she doesn't stand on the blanket, or on my rug, and takes alternative routes to avoid stepping on them some days. You know when she's having a 'blanket aversion' day because she stands beside me on the couch and mews pathetically, while placing a paw on any exposed part of me. Then as soon as I pull the blanket away from my chest or lap, she's on it, purring, and settling down for a cuddle.

So, my seat is reclined, my legs are up - thank you boxing day sales for my lazboy reclining sofa - I'm all nestled in my blankets, and I have; food, drink, the remote, the phone, and pills within arms reach. Only reason to get up is to relieve myself.

Nest day is a go!

Try it yourself, you'll see that it just recharges the batteries so you're ready for whatever comes next! Good for body and mind! Just alter what's beside you to your own tastes and needs. Add in; knitting, sewing, books, etc. Whatever will fit on the sofa beside you - or a table beside your chair - that means you will be snug as a bug in a rug - literally - all day and don't have to move for anything but the loo. It's awesome!

Anonymous
  • Is it bad that my first thought was that the oil would ruin the sofa, and then the second thought was that the bare skin on leather would be very sweaty and sticky and just no? Lol

But mmmmm, skips! I might need to have some crisps today. I found some in Tesco that seem to be a chocolate flavoured Wotsit. So that will be exciting to try!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

OH Lass!

At last I found you.

Your duvet post has been so important to me.

I kept reading it.You described everything I felt I needed.I am on my own.8 weeks after 30 rads for squamous cell cancer, ok ish as I thought but then the aweful Mucositis kicked in.

I can't believe the pain.

I have broken vertebrae too.

But Nothing ,even the very strong vile opiates didn't work fòr this cancer ,still don't.

I read your blog and you described SO well the sort of cosy feeling I crave.

Every one thinks I should be 'better' by now but I feel Soooo bad.

When I'm in the doldrums Lass, I think of your nest and I don't feel alone.

I don't have cats but I have creatures!

There's Moo who's a Moomin...Depressed Ted (rescued at the bottom of an empty charity basket)

and Rosie who is 38 years old, very wise and belongs to my lovely daughter Hannah...but Rosie stays with me, because she's in hiding from Levi ,Hannah 's dogwho would chew her up and bring wrath and destruction to the world@!!

I think you will know what I mean.

I really hope you're ok Lass

I mean that.

Thank you for your writing.

Lit's of love

Mary

• Marybridget

Here I be! I be here! lol. I never went anywhere. :D I'm glad you like the post though, it was just how I was feeling that day and what was going through my head. Felt like I should share and maybe see if other folks wanted to build nests for themselves too. :D

I've just had a google, and it seems like you really do have it tough. No wonder you need a nest day or two! I think in your nest, you need to take LOTS of cake and booze and just have a party to yourself with your creatures. Shut out the outside world and the troubles it holds, and just chill and relax and enjoy yourself. After all, it's hard work and a full time job being Levi's protector, you need some time off!

As for those folks saying you should feel well and be 'better' by now, I think you should tell them to go and jump off a cliff. *Smiles sweetly*

And with my writing, there are now 22 blog posts in here. So if you're bored and needing a laugh, there are a few other thoughts and weirdnesses that I've jotted down that you might enjoy too. Just click the words 'The Butterfly who Flapped Too Hard' at the top of this screen and it should take you to them all. Save you searching. :D

In the meantime; Build that nest deeper and snugglier, and keep up the good work as Levi's saviour. Then you'll be able to face whatever each day holds for you.

You've got this!

Lass

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I think a nest day in just what I need today. Boo of a day yesterday and been awake since 3.30am.

Thinking of trying to get some more sleep in bed then getting daughter to take a duvet downstairs for a day on the sofa till hubby comes home from work. Fleecy blanket to hug too. No doubt the dog will invite himself up too as he loves a snuggle.

Definitely agree with googlemuma - hot water bottles rule!

• I don't know what your weather is like where you are, but it looks very grey here. So definitely a good day for a nest day!

Hope you have a better day today than yesterday!!