Young, Wild and Fibroblastic

• Self Care: so much more than being healthy

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Self-care, not to be mistaken for ‘self-love’ (a common mistake of my male friends) is: ‘actions that individuals take for themselves, on behalf of and with others in order to develop, protect, maintain and improve their health, wellbeing or wellness’. Sounds fab right!

As a young adult on treatment for a tumour it is certainly something I have more actively thought about and practiced in the past…

• The Importance of Being Active with Cancer

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Exercise has a huge range of benefits, both physically and mentally. This is something everyone is aware of and in recent years there has been a huge push in getting more people active. Yet there is still a damaging misconception that people with cancer need to rest up and take it easy. The benefits of exercise are just as important for helping you with recovery as they are for cancer prevention, and can help alleviate…

• There is a Light: Brightlight, issues affecting young adults with cancer

FormerMember
    FormerMember

There is a Light: Brightlight is a production based on new research, the first of its kind, which is a 5 year nationwide study looking at the experiences of 1100 young adults through cancer. The production was performed by a mixture of actors and people who have had cancer in the past, and it was beautifully performed so that you were often left guessing whether the performer was describing their own experience or not…

• The Big Learning Curve, what having cancer has taught me so far

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Cancer has taught me a lot, I have probably grown as a person more in the last four months than at any other point in my life. A silver lining I would happily do without but a silver lining none the less.

I would love to write something full of novel ideas and revelations that blow your mind, but unfortunately most of the things I have learnt are clichés. After all I have been through, I have just learnt that all of those…

• My First Hello

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Readlings,

I am Lydia and welcome to my blog. I am the fresh young age of 24 and in November 2016 I was told I had a rare uterine tumour. There are only 10 cases of a uterine inflammatory myofibroblastoma in the literature, my consultant referred to it as ‘vanishingly rare’, rather poetic I think. So here I am, the 11th person to have this diagnosis.

Through my journey, I have come across many challenges…