Relationship

Less than one minute read time.

Hi,

I am 19 and was diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma in January 2020. I want to get back into a relationship (I do have experience with relationships despite being young Joy) as I am well at the moment, due to having come off of chemo and onto a new trial. Because of COVID, everything is online but I do not feel anybody will be interested because I have cancer, so I am afraid to message anyone to say hello and start conversation. I am such a sociable and positive person so that isn’t the problem. 

Has anyone got any advice for me? I’m sorry it’s a silly question as I am young but it does get to me as I am a bit lonely. And It would just be lovely to get into a relationship. 

Thanks

Anonymous
  • Hello.  I'm more than old enough to be your mother (65!) but for what it's worth here's what I think...

• Oops - that posted before I'd finished!  It sounds to me that you're almost thinking of yourself as a cancer with a person attached rather than the other way round.  Have you thought about starting a conversation with someone (or more than one person!) and seeing whether you would both like to know more about the other.  As a cancer patient myself I do understand how all-consuming cancer can feel but if you start with an ordinary conversation, you may find you want to share more but it would just be one aspect of your personality/life rather than the dominant thing - even though I know how dominating it is!  Does that help at all?  If not dismiss it as the ramblings of an old biddy!

• Not a silly question at all George. SFUC has answered your question well I think. I am no expert on neuroblastoma, so won't go into that one........I have breast cancer which is treatable and surgery soon, plus radiotherapy to come. My biggest concern at the outset was reading other people's accounts of their situation where a man had left them because of the thought of what was to come, and the difficulties. I mentionned this at an early stage to my husband. Having cancer does change attitudes. I felt the need to mention this to my husband even though I have known him for over 25 years. He was most reassuring in his answer. I think many young people would want to know you, for the person that you are, aside from health issues only and I wouldn't mention your health problems at an early stage in any relationship until you know that person really well, unless it was so obvious that you could not avoid it. Having cancer makes you more empathetic, more patient, more thoughtful and caring of others, not less so - I've found that anyway. It is also a very lonely path, as you so rightly say. You are young and need good people of your own age who care about you - we all do, whatever our age and when we have cancer we need it more. Do not be afraid to message people. If they don't reply that's their problem not your's.