My breast cancer journey so far...

4 minute read time.

Hi everyone.

I wanted to create this blog as I know it will help me to deal with my breast cancer diagnosis and I hope it helps people reading this re tips on how to stay positive and keep active ☺.

About me

I'm a 42 year old mum of one who works full time and is a keen runner. Just before I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer I had run around 20 half marathons and 11 marathons. I probably took my health for granted as I hardly get any colds or illnesses and was very healthy. I now know that when I ran the 2 marathons that I did in Oct 2016 I had Breast Cancer!

How it all started

I went to the doctor on 14/12 as I had a lump on my left breast. My friend has recently been diagnosed with BC and convinced me to go. I think the doctor knew straight away that it was cancer but didn't want to say. It seemed a long wait until my appointment at the breast clinic on 30/12 but somehow we managed to get through Xmas. 

Within 2 minutes the nurse said "I think it's definately some type of cancer" and I was quickly assigned a breast care nurse and had various tests. A swollen biopsy of my swollen lymph node was taken and a mammogram done followed by a CT scan on 3/1 and the diagnosis was confirmed on 5/1. I didn't cry and the results appointment as I knew it was cancer. The only thing I cared about was the type and whether it had spread. My husband of course got very upset but appreciated things could have been much worse as I was told the cancer was hormone receptive, had not spread and  grade 1 so at that point I thought it was the best bad news I could have got.

We went straight round to our friends after the. A glass of wine was definately needed!  As I was a bit stressed I then went out for a run with my running club which made me feel better and then went into work the next day!!

Things hit me badly by the weekend and I felt very down but I did my usual run the following Saturday morning. It was tough but it helps me so much when I'm worried or upset plus I was able to talk to friends. My son didn't know at this point as I wanted to wait until I had a date for the masectomy.

I've had number of appointments since my results and my operation was on 23/1 which was a simple masectomy with auxiliary node clearance 2/6 nodes removed affected. I cried when I first saw my stitches in the shower and trying to shower with a drain is tough. I stayed in hospital after the op for the night as I was sick from the anesthetic but I felt positive as I was told the cancer had been removed. I wanted to hug my surgeon but felt too sick to do so .

I went straight to Maggies after I left hospital with my husband and son as I felt we all needed support. Maggie's were amazing and very supportive. 

I know it's crazy but I went back to work a week after my operation. I have cried on and off a lot since being at work but I can't bear to sit around thinking about things. I draw a lot of strength from friends, family and working (I know this probably sounds strange). My breast care nurse has also been amazing.

The pathology appointment was tough as I know I now need 6 rounds of FEC-T chemotherapy, radiotherapy, mammograms every year until I'm 50 and Tamoxifen for 10 years!!. This is tough for someone who is not used to being ill. I don't even like taking headache pills . Getting fitted with my prosectics was amazing though and I felt feminine again afterwards ☺.

I start chemotherapy on 6th March and I admit that I'm terrified!

I deal with my diagnosis in many ways as follows:

• I listen to advice and talk as openly as possible about my illness. Breast Cancer Care, Maggie's and MacMillan are amazing. I also have great friends and family and know that I'm lucky.
  • I feel lucky to have had such amazing treatment so far through the NHS
  • I hate things being out of my control so I've ordered my wig, brought some lovely scarves and hats and have started preparing my chemo survival pack with magazines etc. I'm even thinking of taking some cakes on my first day as baking will keep me busy and it may just put a smile on some faces.
  • I try and stick to my runnng routine. I wasn't allowed to run for nearly 4 weeks after the op but I'm definately making up for it now. I was the 30 minute pacer at my local parkrun last week and am back to running 4 times a week. I'm also doing a 10k the day before chemo starts and will continue to run as much as I can.
  • My husband, son and I talk a lot and openly discuss concerns with each other.
  • I'm trying to plan things to look forward to such as days out on my good weeks

As a summary, a lot of good things have come out of my diagnosis. I find that I'm a better listener and am much stronger than I thought. I do have dark thoughts sometimes as cancer is scary but it's important to stay positive.

Next blog...chemotherapy xx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I am fortunate not to have cancer but have been treated with chemotherapy for another disease, Vasculitis. I am inspired by your blog and your extremely positive outlook! Good luck with your treatment and keep blogging. You are helping more people than you know. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi your blog is great... I am in a similar situation I was diagnosed with breast Cancer last week I have to have chemo before surgery which will be starting next week it's all happened so quick, so within a week I have been diagnosed had an mri scan had a marker clip put in been jabbed many times can't believe I have managed to get my head round it all.

lisa x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi your blog is great... I am in a similar situation I was diagnosed with breast Cancer last week I have to have chemo before surgery which will be starting next week it's all happened so quick, so within a week I have been diagnosed had an mri scan had a marker clip put in been jabbed many times can't believe I have managed to get my head round it all.

lisa x