Active treatment finished....hot flushes continue...mental recovery starts

2 minute read time.

Hi everyone,

Sorry, I haven't posted on here for a while. 

I finished active treatment for breast cancer on 7/8/17 and am now on Tamoxifen for 5/10 years.

Sadly cancer treatment has left me infertile and with menopausal symptoms (I had chemotherapy and radiotherapy).  I have a 10 year old son but he's sadly now not going to get a brother or sister.  We brought our lovely English Springer Spaniel puppy instead (Hugo) who is now 12 weeks :-).

There are lots of positives to come out of cancer treatment - I have made some amazing new friends and discovered the amazing Maggie's centre which has been my haven for the last few months.  Also, I couldn't have managed without the support from MacMillan and Breast Cancer Care.

I had a place for the London Marathon 2017 but had to defer this to 2018 due to my diagnosis.  I am so looking forward to training for it and running next year. I have managed to run through treatment and completed the Robin Hood Marathon on 24/9.  Although I was a lot slower, I really enjoyed it and am doing my next half on 29/10.  Parkrun has also really helped me to keep active as well - I'd highly recommend it.

I am currently attending the 'where now' course at Maggie's which is amazing and we are covering topics such as 'back to work', mental wellbeing, nutrition and are discussing our fears as a group.  There have been many tears!

The after treatment bit is tough and I am feeling a bit lonely at the moment as suddenly friends stop asking 'how are you, are you ok' and this is when I feel that I need the most support.  Also, the hospital visits become a lot less and I'm left with the thought of 'will it come back', 'what can I do to stop it coming back'. I am scared when the Maggie's course ends and I'm not going to have so much support.  I am he main breadwinner and work full time.

I'm meeting with my breast care nurse to discuss reconstruction next week as I had a left side mastectomy - I want to try and deal with everything this year if possible. If I go ahead with the operation, I'd like it to be after the London Marathon.

Just to finish, I want to give hope to those of you going through treatment as it does get easier. 

My hair is growing back well, I have my eyelashes and eyebrows back.  I am feeling more like myself everyday.  Also,  I really appreciate my running and my friends and family have been amazing.

I know there is a long way to go but I'm getting there

Sarah x

Anonymous
  • Hi Sarah

Good to hear you are feeling well , one of the biggest things I have known is the loneliness , not wanting to tell loved ones how you feel and after things get back to a more normal life it is a bit of a weird feeling. I think I feel that if someone could say to me , you will be fine , you won't have a

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks for that amazing blog Sarah. Im still waiting for my treatment plan. But having read your blog I feel positive that I too will be able to continue with my running ( which I'd stopped ) and walking.

With the support of family and friends I will get through this. 

Thank you and good luck with your running shoes on 

Xx