finding out.

1 minute read time.

My mum was diagnosed with cervical cancer back in 2005. She was lucky and was able to undergo a hysterectomy to remove the cancer. she was given the all clear. In 2007 she visited las vegas with my dad to renew there wedding vowels. whilst out there she was not feeling too well. on return tests confirmed that the cancer had returned and she was diagnosed with mesothelioma.
In 2010 she sadly passed away in hospital when i was 15 years old.

My boyfriend, of over 2 years, found a lump in his neck not that long ago. He had many tests and was finally diagnosed with Lymphoma last week. The doctors are happy that they have caught it quick, but they have not yet decided there plan of action.

i just keep experiencing flash backs from when my mum was unwell, and the pain and suffering i had to watch her go through, and i feel like im going to have to do it all over again with my boyfriend.

It may sound bad but because of what i went through at such a young age, ive got it in my head that he is going to pass away too. i feel guilty feeling like like and i am finding it difficult at the moment to come to terms with it. i am trying my hardest to provide him with the support he needs but im finding it hard.

Any advice?

thankyou
xxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi paigenesbit,

I'm so sorry to hear about your dear mum and now your boyfriend, but you've definitely come to the best place online for help and support.

If you're looking for replies from other users then I'd recommend you post your story and questions as a discussion within a group. You might want to consider joining the Family and friends forum (Group) and Bereaved family and friends forum (Group) groups, filled with people who've gone through similar experiences to yourself and your family. Your profile mentions that you were your mum's carer, so you might also want to join the Carers only forum (Group) group. If you're looking to talk to others who've been diagnosed with Lymphoma then we have a couple of relevant groups you can look into to help support your boyfriend (Hodgkin lymphoma (Group)/(deleted group), depending on the type he has).

Once you've joined your selected groups you can start a conversation thread to get replies from users. Just click 'New discussion' at the top of the group and type your message. To reply to comments made just click 'reply' on any of the responses on the thread.

Other users use blogs to record their experiences, almost like a diary. Of course, if you want to continue to blog then feel free.

If you'd prefer to talk to someone directly then you can always ring the Macmillan support line. The nurses running it are there to help you, no matter your current situation. Available on freephone 0808 808 0000, Monday to Friday, 9am-8pm.

Best wishes,

Jazmine

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,

So sorry to hear that you are now experiencing this disease for the second time with another loved one.

Being a patient myself, the support you can offer him will be amazing and will surely strengthen your relationship.

Not all cancers are terminal and many people recover and live full and happy lives. But I understand your fears. My husband has counselling to help him cope with the daily stress of living with my disease. Perhaps this might be something you could look into?

I also use mindfulness and it is a lovely way to calm an anxious mind and take time out, great for when you are feeling overwhelmed I truly recommend it.

Sending you best wishes for a full recovery for your boyfriend and yourself through the journey ahead x