Not happy with care given to my mother in law

1 minute read time.

My mother in law was diagnosed with lung cancer Dec 2015 she had half lung removed and was told by Wythenshawe hospital that it was successful on two visits the last one being in September 2016.

She was suffering from sore legs, tiredness and depression and after several home visits from her GP she was sent to stepping hill hospital in November 2016 where they diagnosed terminal bone cancer apparently it had spread to her brain, bowel and liver.

Why was this not picked up at Wythenshawe hospital is one question ???

Another question is why after being discharged from hospital on the 20th December did it take four weeks and phone calls from family to actually get Macmillan nurses and district nurses to start home visits ???

Another question is why are we still waiting for a macmillan benefits advisor to visit my mother in law to help her claim attendance allowance we asked on the 4th January for help ! They actually posted a form for pension credits through her door yesterday didn't even knock on the door - my mother in law already gets pension credits we need attendance allowance to pay for nappy pads that the district nurses won't supply for her !

Basically our experience of Macmillan is not great so far yet when I had cancer they were brilliant !

Also can anyone tell me where I can get a DS1500 form from I think it is from the GP or consultant but my sister in law who is dealing with everything is waiting for the benefits advisor to tell us

it's so hard because she won't let me help and I have first hand experience of claiming PIP, DLA and ESA .

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, you can get a DS1500 from the GP.

Ann

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks anncg I'm in the process of trying to sort things out but it's hard because my sister in law is in charge of everything and she doesn't listen when we try and help. Our Macmillan nurse is getting the ds1500 sorted but this should have been done back in December. The care my mother in law is getting and the support we should be getting is non existent it's one problem after another most distressing is the medication problems - seeing your loved one in agony and then finding out her medication should have been increased but wasn't is heartbreaking

Thanks for your reply xx