Severn Bridge Walk

1 minute read time.

Hi everyone, my training has been going well, weather permitting!

I have walked along the Monmouthshire and Brecon canal for distances of 6 to 8 miles. Canals are generally level, but not at 14 locks where the canal rises a distance of 168 feet in just 800 yards and after a six mile walk you do notice you are going uphill!

I am thoroughly enjoying this walking and a particular pleasure was watching swans sitting on a nest and then a fortnight later seeing them proudly parading their newborn cygnets along the canal.

The coast walk from Penarth to Sully was beautiful even though the rain soaked me on the way back, so I have invested in a new waterproof jacket and a new hat!

A local walk to find a vantage point to photograph the Severn Estuary was more gruelling than I thought and I needed to “rest” in a pub before tackling the hill back home. Unfortunately the viewpoint I remembered had changed and the view was now blocked with mature trees!

Last week I walked around Cardiff Bay taking photographs, a walk I had always planned but never found the time to do.

My three replacement knees are standing up well to this training; friends have suggested I use Odin’s 8 legged steed to go with my three knees, but I don’t think horses are allowed on the walkway over the bridge.

I am now looking forward to this challenge on the 1st July, just one week away although I know it can be very blustery on the Severn bridge, so I hope the weather’s fine.

If you would like to cheer me on my way, you can do so by donating on my just giving page.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thanks everyone for you encouragement!

For those who asked - yes I do have to walk back, although friends and neighbours may be hoping I won't!

Thankyou Clare for the advice on diet and exercise!

Thanks also to all those who have sponsored me; It's a great cause and all of us here have benefited from Macmillan.

For those who haven't sponsored me, there is still time!

Odin

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Good luck with the walk Odin ...... I shall be wishing for fine weather for you all on the day. Sounds like all your training is paying off and I don't think that Sleipnir will be needed after all. So go and enjoy it all ..... but take care with those three replacement knees !

Love and hugs, Joycee xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thankyou Joycee!

I shall enjoy it whatever the weather, but I'm taking my camera and so some bright intervals would be appreciated,

Odin xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Odin, I just wanted to wish you the best of luck, not long now till the walk, I really hope it's not raining on the day.

Love Roobs xxxxxxx