Three months on ...

1 minute read time.

Today its three months since my step-dad died.  That's 13 weeks since we held his hand as he reached the end of his journey. So how are we doing? Well, Mum is doing amazingly well. She has even been out to a couple of functions that she would normally have attended with him - and the fact that she coped, and enjoyed it, has given her confidence a real boost. She has a little colour back in her cheeks, and may even have regained a bit of weight. She has told me that she still wakes up and thinks she hears him struggling for breath, but apart from that she is managing her new life with incredible bravery and composure.

As for me - I'm told I've been bottling things up, being strong for others and maybe not grieving properly. Being under pressure at work doesn't help, but I have many things to be grateful for so I'm not grumbling. What's a few sleepness nights and IBS compared with what so many of you are living with?

But here's my dilemma - should I stay part of this online community or not? Am I holding on to the past by continuing to contribute  - or can I really help others (as they have helped me) by posting sympathetic messages and words of comfort, sharing my experiences in the hope that others wil find them helpful? I have 'met' so many wonderful and inspiring people (Kezzerbird, Drew, Debs, Sarsfield, Graham and Jenni to name but a few) that part of me is reluctant to leave. But some of the stories are heartbreaking and make me re-live the emotions I felt in the months up to his death.

In the words of the song (I'm showing my age now) 'should I stay or should I go'.

As ever, your advice will be welcomed. Love to you all, Val X

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well Val,

I know exactly what you mean.  I quite ofter read the posts on here and I end up in tears, not that I need much help!!  I don't go on here as much as I used to but its lovely to know there's always people you can turn to and vent your feelings.  Their words of comfort are priceless. Perhaps if you were only to come on here every couple of weeks and see how it goes.  

Love Stacey xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Val, I would say stay. I am six and a half years since my diagnosis for breast cancer and was given the all clear last September. I wondered if it was appropriate for me to still be here, but have a lot of messages from people saying I have been a great help and inspiration and I also felt I would be losing a lot of friends I have made on site.

My dad passed away from cancer eight weeks ago and I have found a lot of support from others in the same position, so being here has been very helpful for me.  I know what you mean about the sadness, a lot of the stories on here have been leaving me in tears, but then that's because my dad's death is still very raw.

If you feel it is helpful then please stay on site. I'm sure your experience will also be helpful to others.

Best wishes, Christine xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Val,

Everyone brings something to the table on this site.  So do you, just reading about how your Mum is doing and the loving way you write about her and her stepdad makes me smile.

This site isn't just for patients/carers of cancer, I thought it was for anyone affected by cancer ......... and that means you.  Even if you just drop by every now and again to see whats happening and if you feel you can contribute to any of the current topics.......do so, you are much loved and valued member of this 'community'.

Love & strength

Debs xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Val,

Dont you dare try to leave,or I will send the Bird after you and that wont be pleasent. You and People like you are what keep the rest of us going

So no more talk about leaving or else.

Take care and be safe Big Hugs Love Sarsfield.XXX

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear friends, thank you for your words of support. I felt really down yesterday, and a bit alone - but I don't feel like that any more, thanks to you. You might have to put up with me for a bit longer now though ! Val X