??????

1 minute read time.

My mum is 68, she was diagnosed with breast cancer 13 years ago. She had the lumpremoved and recieved chemo and radiation. She was then on Tamoifen for a number of years.

6 years ago she was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in the lungs and bones. She received chemo and radiation again and worked her way through the hormone cancer drugs until none of them worked any longer. This bought us to October 2010.

The cancer had got worse and she was in a lot of pain walking. By December she washaving radiation on her pelvic area. Come January they discovered she had it in her brain and liver too. Radiation was given for 5 consecutive days to her brain and she was but on Zometa every four weeks for her bones. Capecitaine (chemo) was given for 3 cycles.

Since March she has stopped walking at all and is now in a wheelchair. Independance has gone out of the window and she hates it. The brain modules have cause her to go blind in the one eye and that has really got her down. Having said thatshe is still going! Totaaly amazes me everyday.

Early April they found bloodclots in her rightleg so they put her on Tanzaparin injections everyday. Two days ago she had a CT scan and they found a fracture in her left hip. Surgery is too risky.

My dad I care for her,and it is soul destroying to see such a strong determined independant women going through this and all the indignity it carries along with it.

Dr's said last October prognosis maybe two months.......thats how strong she is. The end of March I took a 3month leave of abscence from work because she was declining and Dad needed help.

Idon't really discuss this with people around me as I don't want to be the friend who talks about cancer all the time and people to avoid me. So I guess I have come on here to speak with people who understand and are going through similar things themselves.

Its the uncertainty of everything that gets to me the most.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Nutcracker,

Thank you for your support.

I hope that you are keeping well. My mum said that staying positive has helped her no end.

Do you have family around you?

Chelton

x