Buckle up boyo, I'm a bit mad...

4 minute read time.

Ah, Hello Mr Anger. Please do come in. We've been expecting you. Come on Come on. Don't be shy. Grief arrived weeks ago, and destitute has been with us since last weekend. We've been waiting on you and Abandonment, and he showed up last night.

Yes. I'm angry. I'm pissed off, sore and tired. But mostly angry. I feel like my Dad sodded off and left me to this world. To a place where my foundations are now shaken from under my feet, and as fast as I am grabbing at the sides of the sheer drop I'm plunging down, I cannot seem to find purchase. Its terribly unfair on the Old Man. I mean, he died of Brain and Lung Cancer after a stoic battle of 18 months. He went through chemo, twice. Never lost his hair, or his sense of humour. He fought on through veins exploding, a stomach shutting down, 3 operations, 4 transfusions..... I could go on but i shan't. That is a very crib notes version of what he went through. And yet..... i want to beat him about the head with a dead kipper for leaving me. Its unfair, its not his fault, and there was nowt he could do.

However. Even with this knowledge. It doesn't stop me rampaging about the place like a black weekend, with a face longer than a horse. It doesn't stop me waking up and bursting into frustrated tears. And it certainly doesn't stop me from rounding on those nearest and dearest to me, when they don't deserve it at all. I'm feeling proper sorry for myself. And then, I feel I shouldn't feel sorry for myself. That I should 'Man the heck up, cupcake' and square my shoulders and be all brave and strong. Because that is the way it is in my family. We tend to find pride in the martyring of oneself. Its seen as a badge of honour. Taking time out for yourself, to allow yourself to 'heal' is seen as a bad thing. As is admitting that you cannot cope. Looking bone tired, weary and stressed out, is seen as 'handling things well'. Encouragement to see a doctor is flatly refused, and 'soldiering on' is something to be proud of.

My Dad died on the 8th October which was a Saturday. I'd flown back from the south to Scotland on the Friday night. ON the Monday morning, I went straight back into work and did a full week with one day off on the Tuesday. By the Friday afternoon I was almost on my knee's from pushing myself physically and emotionally to my outer limits. It was quite possibly, one of the most stupidest things I have done. Everybody was shocked I was in. Except my relatives. Who were proud of this fact. And this is why I am mad at him. Because I feel like he has left me to deal with the plethora of family politics on my own. I've no one to phone up and swear at down the phone. I've no one to sit in a corner with, or have a fag outside with at family gatherings, where I don't fit, because I've not a degree, nor am I particularly affluent. I don't give a damn what's new at Marks and Spencers, and I don't read the Daily Mail. I read the I, because at least I'm not going to be told that everything will give me Cancer, and I am going to die next Tuesday because I don't drink enough milk and haven't give birth to any children.

AND IF ONE MORE PERSON SAYS HE HAD A GOOD INNINGS....... I swear down I will beat them to death with a standard lamp. Yes he was 72. Yes that's old in most people's books. Yes I understand that. But. I am only 31. And yes people have lost Fathers at an earlier age than me. IT DOESN'T MATTER. It makes it NO less painful because he was older. It makes the loss no more less devastating. I have still lost a parent. And down playing that is just insulting. Do you think that watching him struggle to breathe was easier because he was old? Hearing him sound like a coffee peculator was ok because he had lived a long time? No. It was terrifying. And soul destroying to know I could only sit and hold his hand, and choke on words that died in my throat because I was too frightened to speak. So no. He didn't have a good innings....you idiots.

*winds neck back In*

The trouble is. If I cave in and have a good cry, I feel I'm letting the side down terribly. But If I don't, I feel like I'm being disloyal to Dad by not acknowledging the grief, because it only hurts this much because I loved him so much. If I don't let it out, its like I am denying my Dad. But when I do, (notice the circular pattern here....) I feel I am being judged on my inability to cope. Normally I am not so easily swayed by what my family thinks of me. But I've had the rug pulled out from underneath my feet and I feel a bit like Bambi on ice. All legs a kimbo, and about as graceful as giraffe in swan lake. And I'm still pissed at him, for having no more battles to fight, but I still do.

Basically it boils down to this. I can talk the talk. And I can walk the walk. On the outside you will see a well put together, individual who seems to be able to tackle the world head on and heave it onto her shoulders. I've had it drummed into me to be strong. Dependable. Stoic. Brave. To not leave burdens on others doorsteps, and to say 'yes' even when my head is screaming 'no'. But inside? Well inside is a 5 year girl, who desperately desperately misses her Dada, with a heartache only those who have lost someone will truly know.

xxxxxx

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Aw darling, I hear you loud and clear and I could have written a lot of that.  When you talk about crying for your dad so he knows how hurt you are verses being strong, but you don't need to cry, he knows you love him very much and I understand your feelings of abandonment as well, I'm not quite there yet but I'm prepared for all these feelings, i think, well I kid myself.....

Just go with how you feel, forget people's expectations of you, this is you, your heart that is breaking, you need to do whatever you can to ease that pain, even if it is a rendition of bambi xxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

And Once again folks you manage to pick me back up and plop me back onto my feet. Well, Apart from Little My flattening me.... *peals self off of floor and re-inflates* *grins*

I intend to keep the blogging going. Its weird but afterwards I feel so so much better. I guess its letting it out but in a different fashion.

Ps - This will make you giggle. I asked if i could have some of dads ashes to scatter up here in Scotland because he so much wanted to come here but was too ill to travel. So there is a little box winging its way to me.......

Via Royal Mail Recorded Delivery......... Yes. My Dad is being sent through the post.... BAHAHAHAHAHA

xxxxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Just to make you smile, I know of someones ashes being scattered on various golf courses around the country! His wife thought that as he spent so much time playing golf....................

I hope that is taken the right way and not in bad taste.

Glad you are feeling a bit better.

I wouldnt mind being posted to Scotland any day.

Love and Hugs

X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Vampi

Glad all the lovely people on here have helped you but I can hear those tears screaming to get out.

To hell with family tradition of stiff upper lip and all that - break down and cry god damn it!  No matter how old we get, inside we are still daddy's little girl and when daddy leaves there  is a big gaping whole in a little girl's world.

I'm 53 and lost my daddy when I was 19 and yes, sometimes I still cry but I'm allowed to because I will always be daddy's little girl!

Much love,

Nin xxxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Vampi,

I too have lost significant others in my life, mum, dad, lovely old nan, my beautiful daughter at 23 years old and the sadness goes on for ever. I am soon to loose my husband too and then who am I? We define ourselves by our relationships and my surviving daughter ( 25 years old ) and I wonder, in her words, " who will be next and what will they die of mum", her sister drowned.

Anger has served me well and you must let it out along with all the frustration and tears otherwise you will make yourself ill. Go easy on yourself that 5 year old child needs lots of love. I never thought I would get up again when my daughter died, I felt the same, actually nowhere near the same, -  after my mum, nan and dad. But I did get up and I am a hell of a strong person now. Nothing, even grief can overcome you once you accept that parting is part of life and the ones that have gone have left an enormous gift for you which is an acceptance that life changes all the time but the love you have for those people who journeyed with you for a while is always there and you carry it with you like an invincible sheild. I know I have been there.

Take good care of yourself you have lots to do in life.

Love Liz