September 28th 2011

1 minute read time.

Mo's off to the Day Therapy Centre today,for the first time. I haven't got any kids myself but I feel like a mum/dad taking their son/daughter to school on 'their first day'. Worried,anxious and emotional,making sure they had everything in their schoolbag,well in Mo's case tissues,water,money & of course fags lol even though youv'e checked their bag a 'million times'. I am a little worried because she's not had a rest after her meds as normal & gone straight out and may get tired soon. I was worried no one,least of all me would be with her today as well but the centre rang me to check Mo still wanted to go and said that someone WILL be with her all day. They told me not to worry Mo will have a great time and will be well looked after, big sigh of relief!!.
 I had a brief visit from Sue Palmer from the Association Of Carers introducing Eve Grimstead my respite carer for Tuesday to Mo and myself. They had arranged to pop in before Mo was picked up for the Day Therapy centre at St Michaels Hospice. Eve is an 'oldish' lady,in the nicest possible way and she has been doing respite care for quite a while,one of their 'more experienced' carers Sue said & she seems a nice lady. I had got a little bit upset & emotional (big girls blouse!)after Mo had left but managed to hold it together...just! I had a little chat with them after Mo had gone regarding her respite care,like giving Mo some lunch between 12 and 1pm,encouraging Mo to get up and possibly dressed if she wasn't already,depending on how she felt, making cups of tea for her,talking /chatting to Mo etc. Sue the services manager had to do a risk assessment nothing too drastic just routine and then they both left about 20-30mins later. Now i'm just waiting for the Medical equipment to be delivered and then I can do what I need to do until 3pm when Mo returns,but I may just call the Day centre just to see how Mo's doing later.

Anonymous