November 2nd 2011

1 minute read time.

It wasn't a particular good day today went to visit Mo with Sue my neighbour but while we were there Mo was in quite a lot of pain. Its always very hard for anyone visiting to see Mo growling and grimacing when her pain flared up as Sue and I did today. All you can do is try and calm Mo down by stroking her head whilst holding her hand,something Sue was doing continually and it surprisingly works. I immediately informed the nurses that Mo was in pain,even though we aren't all sure if thats all it is,unfortunately both the morphine and steroids had run out in the syringe drivers at the same time which is rare. Normally the nursing staff deal with Mo's pain,either by giving her morphine orally or giving Mo some paracetamol depending on the extent and severity of the pain immediately or as soon as they can. Today they were short staffed,yet again so it felt like an age before they were able to deal with Mo's pain. Mo eventually had her drivers changed and given some Oramorph and two paracetamol but she was unable to eat much of her lunch afterwards which was being served because all she wanted to do was sleep. Not surprising considering the amount of medication she had just been given.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

can i ask what do they give mo steroids for? gooseberry x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

In answer to your question gooseberry Mo has cancer of the brain and the steroids reduce the inflammation in the brain around the cancerous tumour and because she is on a very high dosage 16mg it is constantly being injected through the syringe driver all day everyday. It stops Mo having a continuous pain in her head and she is given paracetamol if its needed to also help her pain. I hope that has helped you and my thoughts are with you at this time. x