The hopefully not final problem

• Rage against the machine

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Yesterday I went for a PET scan. What I actually got was a five-hour tour of the Westcountry.

I'm rapidly finding that stress about my actual illness is pushed up by the complications of procedure and infrastructure. Following the lymph node results, I was scheduled yesterday afternoon for a PET scan at the mobile unit parked outside Taunton hospital. It needs a six-hour fast, so I started the day with an early breakfast…

• First reactions

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Beach and sky - a day on the Jurassic Coast helped

If I've given the impression from the first couple of matter-of-fact posts that I'm pretty laid-back about the situation: I'm not. The past few weeks have been - to use a cliché - an emotional roller-coaster.

At the first tentative diagnosis after the CT scan, both Irene and I cried. Later, it more or less crystallized into a situation of Irene crying…

• Why I'm here

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I've chosen to start a blog at Macmillan for several reasons:

Habit. I run a blog already, and writing about my life has become an ingrained diary-keeping habit. This is perhaps a selfish reason, but writing helps me handle difficulties.

Privacy. I don't want to write about this side of my life in my existing blog, yet. My parents are elderly, none too well themselves, and very stressed by other circumstances. I…

• Can you see what it is yet?

FormerMember
    FormerMember

So, I had a firm diagnosis of cancer on Thursday 23rd August.

I'd always imagined that would be a clear-cut thing, but I don't actually know what kind of cancer, or where.

quick wiggle effect of flashback

Call me James (a pseudonym). I'm in my mid-50s, a semi-retired English technical writer living with my wife Irene (also a pseudonym) in a south-coast English town. We've no children. I've previously been in…