So... Cancer.

1 minute read time.

Cancer sucks! Yes, it does.

I never, ever thought I would ever get cancer except maybe something of the skin. I have been sunburned way too many times in my life, I am the original pasty white girl. Plus, skin cancer  runs in the family. All that sunbathing when young. (Not me, I would never tan, just turn bright red and get fainty.)

I did have a cousin that died from lung cancer at the age of 39 but she started smoking when she was 9, or something.

Everyone in my family lives to be 90 or so. (Except for said cousin.) I have absolutely no criteria for endometrial cancer, especially clear cell. I have always been wonderfully healthy, never took any pills except for vitamins, always been active, etc, etc...

Now, of course, I have realized that no one expects to get cancer. It's always a surprise! It seems to be pretty indescriminent about who gets it and who doesn't. And after hearing the statistics that half of all men and one third of all women will get cancer at some point in their lives, I guess it comes down to me being one of the unlucky one third.

I've had time to adjust to my new status, it's been since last September that I found out. I was misdiagnosed, though, and have had to adjust again. I guess anything can become normal if you live with it long enough.

Anonymous
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Liz,

Welcome to our dysfunctional family, I'm Rooby with the one Booby, guess that means I had breast cancer ( it still puts a shiver down my spine when I say that )

I'm sorry that you are having to kick cancers arse,  but as you know, we like to kick things in warped.

Look forward to talking to you more.

Love Rooby xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Best. Hat. Ever.

You didn't sound whiny at all. Even if you had done, I think we're entitled to the odd whine. Cancer sucks!!

Like you, I don't - most of the time - feel too bad, in spite of the cancer. (Of course, when I do feel bad, I whine like you wouldn't believe.) Sometimes I almost feel like a fraud, but when I was in hospital yesterday I heard my friend talking to one of the other patients, and the tale of woe she was coming out with had me thinking "Gosh, poor woman!" Then I realised she was talking about me. Huh. Well, I survived all of that and, although my personal Mr Crab is doing his best to stage a comeback, I fully intend to survive that, too.

I would add "Or die trying," but probably only I would think that was funny.

Hilary

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I would find it funny too Hilary.

But what did you expect eh?

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I must be truly warped because it made me laugh Hilary!

xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Add me to the hat order list please. I am not able to knit or crochet though but may be able to remember how to make some Pom poms?! I would like to add that warped keeps you sane??!!! Clare xxx