Salvage radiotherapy - another journey

• Radiotherapy underway, day 14/33 to day 18/33

FormerMember
    FormerMember

14/33 Sunday 13 April: Weight 74.8 kilos. Up at 7.00 am and out the door by 9.00 am. Arrived early at 9.50, so checked in and went straight into bowel prep. No one called me so back into the toilet at 10.15. When comfortable, I sat in reception waiting for my name to be called. Nothing by 10.40, so checked with reception. Yes, they had called my name but hadn’t seen me so gone back inside. Jane at reception buzzed through…

• Radiotherapy underway 9/33 to day 14/33

FormerMember
    FormerMember

9/33 Monday 7 April: Weight 73.8 kilos. Fairly straightforward today although I didn’t get to have my weekly ‘chat’, which was to be done Tuesday. The usual routine but including a full scan. I was told to try and drink more every day outside of the routine as my bladder was a little smaller today than usual. Still, the R/T was completed, so I went straight home.

10/33 Tuesday 8 April: Weight 73.6…

• Radiotherapy underway 4/33 to day 8/33

FormerMember
    FormerMember

4/33, Monday 31 March, and a new week. Coughing less but London pollution and the Sahara desert sands are making me cough, especially with my asthma. A scan was included today. Whilst waiting for the water to filter through to my bladder (4 cups, my decision), one of the team tool me aside for chat. Her name was Mitch, and she told me I would be given the chance to talk to her, or a colleague, each week. She wore a grey…

• Raditoherapy underway, days 2 and 3/33

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Radiotherapy underway, day 2/33

Similar process to 1/33 but arrived slightly late, 55 minutes before the appointment instead of one hour. Called straight in, and rushed to do the bowel prep. Before the enema had started working, I was told to start drinking my cups of water. Drank three, then rushed off to the toilet. Explained what had happened to one of the radiographers and was asked to drink another three cups. As…

• Radiotherapy underway, day 1/33

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Arrived at UCLH one hour before my appointment, as requested, with my wife, May. Checked in and waited for my name to be called, which didn’t take long. First question: “Have you done your bowel prep?. I hadn’t so into the nearest available toilet to insert the micro enema. Sat on the toilet and waited about 15 minutes. Success! Then taken by a radiographer trainee (Mataz?) who did the usual checks: Name? Date of birth…