Help!

Less than one minute read time.
Hi

Was diagnosed with advanced bowel cancer March last year had op reversal and chemo now been told spread to liver and lungs!  Have to have MRI scan Tuesday devastated don’t know where to turn or who to talk to.  Has anyone any idea what comes next or do I just assume my times up!  Just feel like taking overdose!
Anonymous
  • Caz,

My mum had five tumours on her liver when diagnosised. One measured 4 cm and she went straight onto chemo . When she had finished some were no longer visible.

She too has  a quick reoccurance for some reason but she also quickly reduces them with chemo.

If thats all the chemo you have had then there are certainly many more options.

I think the school of thought is straight to chemo to reduce the tumours then review thereafter. Everyone seems to be different.

It is such an emotional time and I really feel for you but there is room for hope here. There are patients on the bowel cancer forum and I am sure they would be happy to share with you and support you too.

Take care,

Love Court

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I, like you had bowsel cancer and had an operation to remove half thebowe in Octoberl.There are also secondary cancers on the liver and I started a series pf 12 sessions of chemo for those in January. After 8 sessions I had a CT scan and was then told that although the cancer was slightly larger than it was last August. they were giving me a ho;iday from the chemo and my next appointment with the oncologist is q5 September.

I have regular appointments with a practice nurse from my GP and also contact from the local Marie Curie Hospice nurse who keeps in touch in case I need advice or help.

Everyone goes through a different esperience but don't give up hope. I have been lucky with few side effects though I know that is not true for everyone.

The most important thing is to stay as positive as possible. As I and others may tell you we are not dying of cancer, we are living with it.

Thath was brought home to me last week when a student who was at college with my and was 20 years ago diagnosed with HIV contacted me with infomation about one our mutual friends. If he can live that long who am I to complain!

Get all the help you can but the most important thing is to get all the support you can from your GP or oncology dept and this site of course.

Best wishes and keep positive.

Mike

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Caz,My husband as been on and off treatment for 6 years for secondries to his liver and lungs also ask your oncologist about cetixumab if you have the gene for it they may offer you it,it is suppose to slow the cancer down and stop the spread Pete started it 3 weeks ago,hope this helps.Hugs Chris.x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

After yet another night of tossing and turning and litterally 1 and half hours sleep feel terrible.  First thing I do now is turn on my computer and try and absorb your comments thanks for your kind thoughts even the smallest grain of hope goes a long way.

My husband has booked a few days away and I hope to be able to relax a little away with a different outlook  Just such sad times.  My mom and dad had both dies of cancer by the time I was 33 and as an only child that was hard and at the same time my son was diagnosed with cancer at 4 months so I'm not exactly a newcomer to this awful disease.  My son is now 33 and the father of beautiful twins a boy and a girl nearly six months old and I so want to watch them grow up just a little more.  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Another night with no sleep 1 and half hours last night feel shattered.  First thing I can do now is check website and feel the support offered.  Thanks for that.

My husband has booked us a few days away hope to feel a little better with that.  My mom and dad died of cancer by the time I was 33 and as an only child felt so alone then especially as my son had been diagnosed with cancer at 4 months old when I was 30.  He is now 33 and father of twins a boy and girl so I have had my miracle.  So I'm no stranger to cancer and it knew where to find me.

Hearing your problems has made me see I'm not on my own I wish you luck with your own circumstances and will try to be more positive.