Ending 2020 with a cancer diagnosis

1 minute read time.

Well, as if a year of a terrifying, world changing, pandemic was not enough to deal with! After a few bloody stools and a visit to my local surgery in London, my entire world began to tilt upside down, in a rather nightmarish way. Follow up colonoscopy (simple enough with fantastic smiling NHS staff), a CT scan was requested and carried out. All of this done within the space of 4 weeks. Considering what is currently going on with rising cases and Tier 4 in London, I remain grateful. And I try to remain positive and hopeful. I am always considered the 'strong' friend, the one always smiling and lifting everyone else up. And mostly, looking after a disabled husband and two young sons. How can I, as wife and carer, be ill, I feel fine! And so suddenly? Emotions ranging from anger,guilt, despair and hopelessness abound in my heart and mind constantly this last month. All whilst ensuring my kids remain unaware as right now, following the year of uncertainty and loneliness we have all experienced, they are certainly not ready for further bleak news. 

Tomorrow morning, 24th, we go to sit down with a team of doctors for the results and to hear my future plan. My future life  mapped out for me, a somewhat different one. I pray for strength and for endurance to face the music bravely. I feel ashamed to cry in front of strangers, and will not be doing this in front of  a panel. I have done enough. Time to strengthen up and get a grip, I tell myself, until I feel it working.

Now, I will try to rest, sleep and try to focus on the positives in my life, come what may.

Update coming soon x

Anonymous
  • 19th Jan.

I am home. And so relieved to be reunited with my two young boys and my loving, caring husband. 

My anterior resection was carried out on 11th Jan. It took place at a private London hospital, referred from our local North London hospital. The staff and my consultant were kind and professional. I spent 6  nights in  a private room and was tended too by a group of amazing support staff.

What I did underestimate, was the after-op pain. Day 1, after op was incredibly painful. My entire core throbbed and I could not actually pick up a jug of water or even reposition my pillow. Pain medication was attended too and revised a bit and gradually as each day progressed, I felt better and a bit stronger. The entire week felt like the longest days I have ever experienced. I went from crying in the morning to feeling elated in the afternoon, after video calling my family. Never have I experienced such intense emotions. 

The team at the hospital, from the physiotherapists to the night nurses who helped me to the toilet were exceptional.

My consultant who performed the operation said it went very well. They believe the 'got it all' and no spread was detected. I did not need a stoma fitted after the operation, so one less issue to deal with. I had my first bowel movement on Day 2 which was a relief as the gas pain and bloating to my tummy area was very uncomfortable and getting used to the idea that you cannot even pass wind, is just insane. 

At home now and moving about the house, with slow and steady steps. Sleep is a bit broken but I have managed to cut back on pain killers which cause horrendous headaches and am mostly using paracetomal as prescribed. Was today able to make a small breakfast of cottage cheese, some crackers and a small glass of cold chocolate Fortisip nutritional drink. Small portions of low fibre foods, throughout the day, along with a glass of Moviplan to avoid constipation and lots of water. 

Even managing to do home-school work with my 8 year old boy, who I missed being away from so much. 

Life is precious, stay positive, you can do this. One day at a time.